Soldering temperature for creams

What temperature would you suggest soldering Novelkeys Cream switches at? I read that the POM housing has a lower melting point than other plastics, and I’m a little nervous about melting them. I usually solder around 645 F.

1 Like

645F should be just fine. I normally solder at 350C (662F) and I’ve had no issues

2 Likes

I agree with @Manofinterests. I always have my iron at 650F and I’ve never had a single issue. I have two builds with cream switches

As others have stated you will be fine at that temp, just make sure to not keep the iron on any one joint for over a 10 count. As far as melting the housings on a switch when soldering it into a PCB goes, that would be more caused by holding the iron on a single joint too long vs the actual temp of the iron itself. If you are really concerned about it or are still a novice at soldering you could definitely lower the temp on your iron some & still get good joints as long as you’re using leaded solder. I usually solder my switches at 325C (617F) using leaded solder.

1 Like

Like @Rob27shred said what you gotta worry about is keeping it there too long. I usually do my keyboards with a cheap shitty iron I have that doesn’t even have temperature control, but it has this awesome giant chisel tip

2 Likes