The Heavy-6 (now resurrected in polycarbonate)

Hey @insolentpotato, Norbateam member here!
We’re actually just waiting on the housings to arrive to us. The last time we spoke with the factory (which was on Tuesday - last week) the folks there were already QC-ing and preparing the housings for shipping which should take about two weeks. After that, it should take about another week or so for us to assemble the keyboards and get everything shipped out!

Hope this helped & thanks for reaching out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

ah, thanks @Orrnnery! sorry about buggin. i still sent an email because i changed contact emails for shipping/tracking. but thanks for clarifying the timeline and i look forward to a late summer/early fall treat then.

1 Like

Its no problem at all! please feel free to email whenever regarding timelines. In the past year, we rarely included specific timelines due to the fluctuating pandemic related delays. However, we’re always more than happy to share where we’re at in the process for any of our projects. Thanks for checking in, and glad to be able to help!

3 Likes

This is exciting news! I finally get to see how my RGB mod works! :smiley:

1 Like

Have there been any new updates regarding PC Heavy-6?

1 Like

Same situation regarding retail boxes and the housings already being done as with the Norbaforces. Housings are done and at our warehouse, and we’re just waiting on boxes.

However, because those were promised earlier, we actually rushed ahead a small quantity of boxes (which costs more than the boxes themselves) for those. Those should be arriving in the next week or so. So the Heavy-6 units should be shipping relatively soon. Maybe 2-3 weeks?

10 Likes

now that I’ve experienced Yang BLE with HHKB, I want to replicate that with my 660C, thus the need for a Heavy-6 Urbi et Orbi - any chance there’s a warehouse find? or someone here is who’s looking to pass it on? cheers!

Would you be ok with a discounted slight b-stock? Because we have several of those. :slight_smile: We’re still waiting for the last of the first-quality replacements and likely won’t have any extras of those, I’m sorry to say.

I don’t normally sell b stocks but as we draw down to the last of the Topre inventory, I’m going to be more flexible on that point, especially when the cosmetic issues are very minor. :blush:

3 Likes

@norbauer warehouse find it is! should I drop an email per usual?

1 Like

I might also send an email on this, I regret not buying one earlier now that they’re gone :eyes:

1 Like

Sure! Just drop a note over to shop@norbauer.com.

1 Like

Bummer on the rear plates Ryan.

Thank you for sticking with a high level of quality I look forward to it when it is ready! (Also enjoying the product status page)

1 Like

The Heavy-6 and Yang 660C controller does not work very well out of the box, connection wise, and due to the rear cover plate not having a cutout for the button. The only solution I found to this is to laser cut out an acrylic rear cover plate with a cutout

2 Likes

Thanks! This project has been plagued by an improbable confluence of setbacks (I paid to get the housings re-made twice because I wasn’t happy with the finish) but we’re pushing through on it and nearing the end of the tunnel. Fortunately rear cover plates are easy and fast to re-make, so we have a rush order in for those and hope to get them in within the next few weeks.

6 Likes

thanks for sharing. is your Heavy-6 aluminium or polycarb?

my experience thus far with Yang HHKB controller has been exceptional, I don’t even need to switch off the board at all and the battery still last me almost a month from full charge and connection-wise, zero issue with the stock plastic HHKB housing. That’s why I’m confident the Heavy-6 polycarb housing would be similar, despite the steel rear plate. Don’t think I’ll ever need a cutout, just set once and forget.

2 Likes

Also worth noting, there is a deep sleep mode you can enable to conserve power. On YDKB.io, the button is called “Lock Mode”. Normally it takes a while to turn off Bluetooth, but by using this function you can force it into a deep sleep mode to save power and turn off Bluetooth.

Here’s the documentation for it.

2 Likes

As far as I know, I might be the only person with an Urbi et Orbi from the latest batch(?).

As for the cutout, you’ll probably need to figure something out as the design of the YDKB controller has it so when the button is pressed down, BlueTooth is disabled and when it isn’t pressed down its enabled.

In this picture, the button is just tall enough to where if I were to put the rear plate flush to the case it would press the button thus disabling BlueTooth. However, Rooski gave me a solution that worked for him but not for me which was to short the pins in which the button was soldered on while it was pressed down but that didn’t work for me :man_shrugging:.

Even after messing about and getting it so that the button wouldn’t be pressed down when I had the rear plate flush and screwed onto the case I experienced connectivity issues in which the Heavy-6 would disconnect and disappear from the “searching for wireless devices” list on Windows, and it was only when removing the rear plate, it would reappear and reconnect. I then quite literally placed the back of my Heavy-6 straight onto the wireless adapter on my PC for it to work but was very delayed and laggy.

So far, I’m assuming the problem has less to do with the steel backplate and more to do with the fact that the YDKB controller is sandwiched between the FC660C steel plate and the steel backplate unlike an HHKB or Heavy Grail which is a ABS plate, and replacing either one would allow connectivity to go through.

That has so far been my experience with attempting to mod my Urbi H6 to be wireless, maybe you’ll get lucky and it’ll just work.

3 Likes

Not sure if it would work with the 660C, but maybe the bluetooth module in the new 660MBT might be another way to make this wireless.

thanks for the picture! it’s much clearer to me now as I’ve misunderstood your initial post.

I have not bought the Yang controller for 660C yet so I assume it was a side switch like the ones for HHKB. Just dumb question though - if BLE is disabled when the button is pressed, while not just take out the slider and have it permanently on? As I’ve said I never open the back cover of my HHKB to manually switch off BLE anyway so it seems quite natural to me this is the way to go

Finally got time to assemble the case. The box itself is huge, even larger than my Norbaforce boxes. The magnetic lid is such a nice touch. The evolution is clear just by lining up the boxes together.

The case itself is B-stock with white steel rear plate, solid as its namesake and can easily pass as A-stock if you’re not looking for the blemishes.

Here are some pics of the welcome-to-the-family party. And we’re expecting a few more!

P.S: @norbauer I’m not quite sure what the two elastic bands in the tool box are for? :joy:

12 Likes