Thoughts on keycult no2 rev1 raises its price to $850?

They go for way more than $850 aftermarket anyway. If this means more money for the designer/manufacturer, instead of flippers or sellers otherwise moving on, then that’s fine with me

1 Like

H Y P E

but seriously, they are just creating an artificial hype for nothing, by raffling. If they really cared about customers, they could move factories.

EDIT: The keycult has amazing anode and a unique design, with QC, which I agree, but Rama also has been able to this, without raffle. I just hate raffle, as it creates an artificial demand. On the other hand it’s more “fair” than First come first serve.

Overall, they have something unique, and probably something very good. I’m sure those who can afford it should go for it. After market is a pain, Like GMK Oliva goes for more after market, because that’s how it works. those who buy a GB wait for their products, while after market is instant. GB has a risk, without knowing something people are buying something, whereas after market, the flaws of the design are publicly known.

1 Like

I’m ok with it. I’m all about the designer getting what they rightfully deserve. Do I want a keycult? Yep! Can I afford it? Nope! And I’m cool with that.

1 Like

Seems KC does very little marketing and it’s all word of mouth. That kind of rep allows them to charge what they charge and customers continue to pay it. As far as the Gucci/LV comparison… KC boards are purported to be well crafted and carry their own prestige. This is a niche market but KC boards are still a status symbol, as is LV.

Personally, I think it’s silly expensive; however, I still entered the raffled :crazy_face:

I see this thrown around on the internet about complex systems all the time - especially in software, where I work. “How hard can it be to build Twitter? It’s 280 characters!” That sort of thing.

The fundamental thing to remember is that building a thing is very different from building that thing at scale. Twitter’s problem is not character counts - it’s the system that allows people to transmit 280 characters around the world in real-time.

Similarly, KeyCult is building high-quality, crazy-tolerance keyboards from excellent materials. Apple has built an entire operations team dedicated to scaling. AFAIK KeyCult has single-digit headcount. If they were building Rama-quality boards, with simpler designs at cheaper prices, they could probably scale faster. But they’re not.

So until they can build luxury keyboards at scale, they’re cultivating a luxury brand image. You see it in their website, their materials, their exact-tolerance designs, their raffles and auctions. This is the right business model for a sustainable luxury keyboard business.

Why begrudge them this?

5 Likes

Thoughts? I’ll put it this way… I had 3 of my friends try with me to get this keyboard.
All 4 of us failed. But if all 4 of us got the keyboard, I’d gladly pay for all 4 and keep them.
I think this sales-structure is quite genius and I can see this becoming a staple in MK.

I think this sales-structure is quite genius and I can see this becoming a staple in MK.

I disagree. The fraction of global MK community who can afford to “gladly pay for all 4 and keep them” is not large enough to support the approach broadly. Add market fatigue and it’s a recipe for disaster.

5 Likes

Price wasn’t raised - STS was $850, Brass is $850. Both are basically identical in manufacturing price.

Sure you could say “oh, Aluminum was $585”, but aluminum is much easier to work with, as it’s much softer, therefore cheaper.

1 Like

As a relative newcomer to the scene (1.5 years) what makes this better than another high end (e.g $500) tkl?
Is the execution of the weight and small touches (e.g. daughter board positioning and routing) to explain for the price hike?

This has mostly been addressed in previous comments.

Keycult’s designs are incredibly well thought through, whereas most customs these days seem to simply be an exercise in product design, marketing and hype-building with no attention paid to the internal mechanics. And yes, I do include most “gasket” or non-standard mounts in that assessment. For example, any “gasket” or “dampened” mount that employs the use of silicone to sandwich the plate is amateurish. Silicone is among the worst dampening materials you could possibly choose. This alone justifies a price difference in my opinion.

Also, it’s not fair to lump all Chinese manufacturing, or all keyboard designs, together into one price range. If Keycult were to manufacture their designs in a lower cost factory, I guarantee they wouldn’t fit together as perfectly as they do due to tolerances. If Keycult were to manufacture simplified versions of their designs with the same mounting method, they would be priced a lot lower - the simple fact is that they’re not designed economically.

EDIT : I would also add that, as other people have said above, the vast majority of people in this hobby have no f’n clue about the amount of work that goes into designing a more complex custom, and the amount of time/risks involved in the logistics of producing and selling a custom keyboard. The level of ignorance is almost funny at times. For example, if 50% profit (this is a made up statistic purely for example) were made on every Keycult board sold, do you really think that would be unfair to the consumer? No, it wouldn’t be. If you had any real insight you would agree.

6 Likes

As Riot had said on his discord awhile back, there was something to do with making the money so that they can be able to make boards on the scale of Rama or something else. If there is demand for them, which they did create on part of good marketing through the community, as well as just limiting themselves to make really well designed boards gives the best point on how this should continue.

Keycult is a brand that is trying to grow and continue in this keyboard hobby and to do that they need money obviously, so the price is pretty good really for what the board entails. Granted @photekq is correct in that there could be more done to fix the “meme” that is using gasket mount and the buzzword that it is.

Personally, I think that with more time and money spent on these boards, and with the future auctions and preorders, they can begin to pump out more and more boards to the point that they can open up into a bigger and better manu and sell more boards and eventually lower the prices. Which long term makes this whole thing much more enticing as there is promise of more boards later on down the road that could be better and cheaper.

1 Like

As a tinker, I’m more interested in hackable keyboards and parts, kind that invites modifications, variations, and third-party parts. Like TGR Alice did.

From that perspective, I’m drawn more toward Polaris than Keycult. Part of it is in design and open sourcing. Price and userbase size also matters. I wish we could see more innovation in case design to make tinkering with materials and layouts easier because I think we only scratched the surface on keyboard acoustics and feels.

5 Likes