Topre help

I’m getting an hhkb for my bday and I have some questions

Can it support mx style keycaps?
How difficult is it to silence it or maybe add some redux domes?
Should I lube the switches (I am aware they are not switches I just can’t think of another name)
Can I lube the stabs?
Does it have software?
Is it really worth the extra ~120$ to get it silenced for you?

2 Likes

Not without modding.

Pretty easy! It’s a minor pain to get it all back together, but Topre is relatively painless to mod.

Don’t feel pressured to lube the housings, but it does make the board nicer.

Yes, and you really should!

Yes and no. It isn’t really worth it, but the sliders are different, and an aftermarket silencing option isn’t quite as nice. Unless you REALLY want a silenced board at the get-go, but it’s not exactly worth the markup otherwise.

7 Likes

Can it support mx style keycaps?

Yes, but the best MX slider options for it, novatouch sliders, are prohibitively expensive. Don’t get the KBDFans sliders. If you want MX style keycaps, wait for the Deskeys sliders to come out (supposedly it’s happening within the not too distant future). Until then, I suggest learning to love your stock topre keycaps.

How difficult is it to silence it or maybe add some redux domes?

Super easy to silence. Deskeys Topre silencing rings are super easy to install, especially when lubing the slider housings.

Changing domes is more time consuming than installing silencing rings but not much more difficult.

Should I lube the switches (I am aware they are not switches I just can’t think of another name)

Lubing Topre slider housings makes this fussy end of the hobby all worthwhile. Lubed Topre sliders make you stand-up straighter, have more confidence, and feel so good you’ll get in touch with all your friends you’ve been meaning to write but just haven’t gotten around to yet. Basically, lubing your slider housings will make you a better and happier person.

Can I lube the stabs?

Yes

Does it have software?

Yes, but an aftermarket controller that’s QMK compatible might be worth your time.

Is it really worth the extra ~120$ to get it silenced for you?

No

4 Likes

If you do decide to mod your HHKB, you can use this post as a resource:

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for all the answers, that’s all I needed =)

3 Likes