What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I don’t know how common it is, but water jet is a option to.

2 Likes

Indeed. My shop used a third party waterjet cutting service a couple times, when they had to shape a large piece of metal / plastic sandwich board.

We learned quickly that leaving the protective wrap on that material is not a great idea when using a waterjet cutter - because whatever grit they are using gets all up in there.

1 Like

Been using an X230 for about three or four years. Came from a W530, and a T60 before that. I’ve really come to love how compact the X series are. Nice!

1 Like

Lovely! What am I looking at?

1 Like

It’s a Cypher!

P4kcr3 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yooooo. Awesome. Always more keyboard stuff to buy lol. My aluminum MV case is rather harsh.

1 Like

Got everything I need to start soldering other than the soldapullt today!

2 Likes

Have you ever seen this one before:

They’re perpetually out of stock but I was lucky enough to grab one a few years ago. It’s THICK, it’s hard to imagine that they cut it, it seems more like it was molded. Anyways, I got this one because I was trying to film creams and snapped two other, thinner acrylic plates in half.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen it before. That is really thick - and the cuts are super smooth - definitely a more consistent surface than those I’d see from the laser. That said, the lasers can cut pretty thick acrylic.

It’s possible they used either a laser or router and then flame-polished the edges, or otherwise used heat to smooth them back out. It’s also possible they used a much better laser than my shop had, more suitable for extra thick plastic.

When we cut stuff that was near the limit of our machine, the top side of the cut would be wider than the bottom because the beam would be less in-focus there.

That one looks super nice! I believe SpaceCat is the guy from https://offtheclack.podbean.com/. I wonder if that is maybe some local business near him hooking him up…

I tried my AliExpress special last night and it did the job, but I wish the switch cutouts were just a hair larger. I really had to push the switch bottom in there to get it to stick.

2 Likes

Looks right! I had not heard of that pod before.

I can’t recommend this modding station enough, it’s too bad it never seems to be available.

1 Like

And what happened then…?

Well…in Whoville they say

That the Grinch’s 66% collection

Grew three sizes that day!

I’m finding it fascinating to see how different engineers have accomodated for the stock plate/pcb/breakout board. So cool to see the different approaches. @norbauer would you agree?

The TX-660c case (gray) has a slots in the top of the case for the upward bent plate edges. It ends up making the board a sandwich mount. Doesn’t feel all that different from the Norbauer case or the stock case. THe biggest difference is probably the typing angle. I prefer the Heavy 6 angle over the TX-660c. But man, they’re both beautiful. I think these bent plates make it so rigid that the mounting method doesn’t do as much as in MX boards.

31 Likes

would you say you have a type?

These are beautful, enjoy!

2 Likes

Good things come in threes.

2 Likes

Wow. If you’re looking to sell one please hit me up heh

4 Likes

4 Likes

Feels like koalas (duh) but it’s a good thing cuz the koalas is going on a board I’m going to sell.

And I got this to, works pretty good but not flawless.

5 Likes

Aaaannd there it broke down…

3 Likes

My first GB has been delivered today, 223 days counted :sweat_smile:

10 Likes