What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

Stupid question, when you say you lube the legs are talking behind? I have heard some people do that yo reduce ping. Or are you talking the front where the leg touches the leaf?

I am think I might try the lube recommendation that Andy suggested in the description of this vid - Smith and Rune Iron 180 in Plum with Pewter Tactile Switches Sound Test - YouTube

"My personal recommendation for lubing these:

1. Remove factory oil with a paper towel or qtips. Don’t worry about ultrasonic. You don’t need it bone dry, just mostly cleaned off
  2. Lube the stem, lightly (3203 or 3204 only. Don’t use thick grease like 205g0)
  3. Skip the bottom housing/top housing.
  4. Oil the springs.
  5. FILM of course - these are jwk molds, after all."

It seems pretty similar to what you suggested as well.

Cheers and thank you!

1 Like

I did just the front of the leaves where the switch legs rub on them & I did the switch legs themselves. The leaf ping mine had wasn’t that bad, but if you got some that are bad getting lube on the back of the leaves can help some, just be careful to not get any where they touch. That’s a pretty solid plan for them. I lubed all of the top & bottom housings on mine, but more for sound to keep them kinda quiet. If you want them to be a little clacky just lubing the stem would be the way to go. No problem & let us know how you like them after tuning!

1 Like

The RGB TKL arrived today. But that fixed Windows bottom row has me yearning for the Realforce Mac now… (I’m sure I’ll still enjoy using and modding this though :upside_down_face:). Deskeys Pink domes and silencing rings are en route.

15 Likes

Have you considered gasket modding the Realforce RGB while you’re doing the dome swap/silence? It’s one extra step removing all of the housings, but I think it’s a great step to making the typing feel super solid. There’s the option of using gasket maker, and using BuddyOG’s laser cut sheets!

2 Likes

Been interested in the Optical and hall-effect space lately. I’m happy I found this one :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yup! Goguma mentioned the gasket maker mod (A Thread on Topre Modding) with before/after videos—and I’m sold on its benefits. (I’ll order BuddyOG’s if it’s available.)

That said, even though it’s more work, I’ll do the tuning in stages so I can hear/feel the difference that each mod makes. Take my sweet ol’ time :).

2 Likes

Just in case you weren’t aware you can flip ALT and WIN (or Option and Command) in the MacOS settings so you don’t have to remap your keyboard

6 Likes

Oh snap. And the settings are attached to the keyboard…this is a sweet solution. Thanks Will!

1 Like

Awesome, that’s exactly what I did. Buddy’s are made to order, so you can probably put yours in soon just so that it gets into queue + mailed while you’re doing the other steps of tuning first.

I do want to share that, after over 10 teardowns for tuning in stages, my case is no longer as solid as it was stock. Doesn’t matter to me since I have a Norbauer case on the way, but just so you know. Have fun modding! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good point re: the gasket and likewise on the final form :vulcan_salute: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Agree with the comments above - Buddy’s gasket took my realforce rgb from being rattly to being an incredible sounding typing experience - I did all the other mods like silencing and lubing before getting the gasket, but the looseness of the housings turned out to be a huge factor in the original sound of the upstroke.

3 Likes

@frostfiree @Sour Hey QXP gang, I got a hold of the plate files for the QXP if you want to try something other than a brass plate. As beautiful as the brass plate is, I do find myself wanting a bouncier typing experience at times.

Today I got this from Ponoko in the mail - 1.5mm Black Acrylic!

11 Likes

I haven’t heard much about acrylic plates but they seem to be relatively easy to get cut and comparatively cheap. I’ve tried PC and POM and liked them a lot. Is acrylic similar to those?

2 Likes

Nice one! Hope you enjoy. I’m a fan of the brass in mine at the moment, it’s fun to swap to once in a while and change up my experience. I actually have a half pom and full pc plate also. Potentially try one out one day. Appreciate the shout though, let us know how you like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is similar to polycarbonate but less stiff.

1 Like

Rain’s completed Yasui design. Noice! Just look at that bottom row… I think I’ll millmax that part to be able to experiment with all the layout options (and because I hate myself). I’ve been using my prototype for clinicals for the past few weeks and am excited to have another one for home.

12 Likes

gatistotles, though i will need to change the housing cause it was desoldered but i will use this for a hotswap build.

2 Likes

This because I am going to copy @givemeyourshoes build. Will actually be my first Alice style layout.

Also, got this lock switch from @pixelpusher thanks again Reece! Plus three bonus switches?! Looks like a novel cream and I’m guessing a boba switch? I don’t actually own any bobas but the tactility feels stupendous. I’ll definitely have to try them out.

The green one is a moderately stiff very pleasant linear. No clue what it is.

14 Likes

Yasss!!! I love my P3D Prime E. I put koalas in mine. Lubed with 3203 and deskeys films.

4 Likes

Wow, Mr.Battleship coming down to see how us 40’s folks live. I’ll be interested to see how you feel about it, the prime_e has been an entry board for myself and others into the 40’s space. :slight_smile: and that P3d case is a great housing to start in.

4 Likes