What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

“Marshmallow” is a perfect name / theme for a progressive spring linear…

If there’s a noun to describe that awesome feeling of biting through a perfect marshmallow… well. I want that noun so I can use it to talk about good progressive switches. Ha!

1 Like

Finally got my hands on this beautiful keyboard. It was a controversial one, but I’m a sucker for the aesthetic. All I need to do swap out box whites for box Jades, place the chrome Return key and… well, we’re in the endgame now.

7 Likes

I enjoy this one as well. Just FYI, the chrome enter key is heavy enough that you will probably want to get a heavier switch to swap out just for that.

3 Likes

I’ve just put a jade in there - I think you’re right. I have a Mx grey or two lying about. Maybe a box navy? I’ll have a play. Then it’s onto the qmk - which seems to not be as straightforward as others.

1 Like

This is true if you are going to harvest switches, but eBay prices are way worse than mechmarket for individual switches, which I think what was being asked.

I usually harvest Amber Alps from Apple IIc’s from eBay.

I’ve never been able to get a good deal on a Videowriter or IBM 5140 for Brown Alps I think people know what these are worth sadly.

2 Likes

Yeah, good point! I did mean just looking for boards to harvest, I probably should’ve specified that. I feel you on the brown ALPS, the best I’ve done there is managed to snag a Videowriter in very good condition for $250 a year or two back which I felt like was a decent deal for it.

2 Likes

Dang I’ll have to keep an eye out I guess, I don’t mind harvesting, but like just buying switches would def be easier. I just need enough for a 60% board. Thanks for the advice guys

3 Likes

Received two sets of smoky stabs (needed for my tofu60 and one for my KBD75), 62g springs, and 67g springs for play, and a friendly note from 3DKeebs! :smile: love the simple personal touches like that.

6 Likes

gk61 this got it last thursday tho

1 Like

SK61? I’m pretty curious to try a leaf-less optical myself.

My new keychron is optical (I think). PM if I can share any pics or useful info about them for you.

Edit: @Deadeye

1 Like

Got the same board (Massdrop × OLKB Preonic in Orange with the optional keycap set) a few days ago. Might post a picture of mine nevertheless as other things (KAT Milkshake, PBT Hive and some Massdrop 65% soft cases) recently arrived, too. :slight_smile:

But your space key looks different than mine. Looks darker and like being an SA space key—not the included one.

1 Like

Thanks! That picture confirms my decision to have cancelled my participation in that GB. The contrast of the legends is far too low for my tastes (and compared to the first renderings—aka the drama) and they’re more blueish than I would have wanted them.

1 Like

Welcome :wink:

There are two dramas, lol:

1. Changing contrast of the legends before GB (Zambi changed that last minute)
  2. Final colors a bit different than on the renders (more bluish)

The colors itself “for me” are great, but the contrast of the legends – a bit bummer.

1 Like

Good eye @XTaran - I did the more secure build, and the included space key was sticking pretty badly. I have ortholinear susuwatari keycaps hanging around - and probably going on the preonic sometime - so I threw that space key on there to see if it would also stick. It didn’t, so it has stayed on. A little out of place but it’s fine for now.

1 Like

I see.

And yes, I can at least partially confirm:

Did also the more secure build with the plate fastened by screws and not just switches. Since I prefer spacebars the “wrong” way around, I did that with the Preonic first, too, and it was a bit sticky. Not that much sticky, but too much for not being annoyed.

So I mounted it the “right” way and since then it works for me again.

Switches are btw. Zealios v1. (I prefer Zealios v2 without the huge pre-travel, but these switches were the last ones from Massdrop’s leftovers shop “Yanbo’s Closet” and rather cheap. :smiley:)

Have MT3 Susuwatari on my U80-A and I’m quite happy with it.

For the Preonic, I’m not yet sure, what I’ll put on. Still have that DSS Dolch ortholinear set laying around unused, which PMK sent me by accident (they mixed up two ordered products) and told me that I can keep it. :grin: Probably a good fit. Might though need to add some feet to the Preonic as the DSS profile works best with some typing angle.

EDIT: Done that now, that typing angle is far less worse than I thought. Just the bottom row has quite some steep key top angle. Pictures later. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

NK65 E-White came in. Sorry for the terrible photo. Lighting is awful in the room atm.

9 Likes

My current set up. So you’re saying I shouldn’t do this?

8 Likes

7 Likes

Electric Centipede (wouldmakeanexcellentbandname)

4 Likes