What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

What determines this? Been interested in trying these myself.

1 Like

I been seeing these around, then I found them on switches.mx and it identifies the different variations. From what I can tell, the variations appear to be different stem and housing materials. KS-3 are apparently recommended: POM stem and top/bottom Nylon housing. When I saw a note they were related to N1s I got more interested. I have a set of those and they are really nice.

So I found these on Ringer Keys in stock, and ordered them.

3 Likes

Can you compare them to other Gat variants by chance (KS-8, KS-9, etc)? Even a comparison to Cherry MX would be appreciated if possible.

4 Likes

I just did the same thing & grabbed a batch of all black housing KS-3 Gat yellows to see if the really are any better than the other KS-3 variants (black bottom/milky top. all milky) or the KS-8s I’ve used most often with Gats. Let us know what you think when you get a chance please!

2 Likes

If Nolawill doesn’t get around to it by the time I get my batch in I planned on doing those comparisons & will report back to you guys. I don’t got any KS-9 Gats, but I do got a bunch of KS-8 yellows & the other variants of KS-3 in blacks. Also got plenty of Cherry MXs to compare them too.

4 Likes

A sealed GMK Dark just arrived. :smiley:

11 Likes

@fatalruin @M_er_sun @Rob27shred

Ok, devised my own test to compare among the few gaterons and linears I have. Each row of the board is a separate switch. I left the far right column exposed so I could remember which row is which.

From the top:
Gat Black Inks (filmed and lubed)
Gat Yellows KS-3 (who we’re talking about here)
Gat Blacks with Poly Stems (2nd fav)
N1s (fav)
Cherry Red

The yellows are a bit scratchy and light on the feel. Definitely no where near the poly stems or the N1s. But they have potential. With some mods, they could be a decent switch. Especially for the price. The housing feels thick and solid tho. I’d say the yellows are a few steps below the Gat Blacks and several steps above the Cherry reds in terms of sound and feel (based on my tastes)

@Rob27shred please share your input when you get them. Would love your take as well.

8 Likes

Nice. Tealios still the best though?

1 Like

Oh yeah, tealios are still better. I’ve only had that in a sampler. A full set of those IS on my shopping list. I have to pace myself with these buys tho. Lol

3 Likes

Silent alpacas arrived today. I almost didn’t hear them. Lol

15 Likes

EV-01 linear switches from bespoke.keys, for an upcoming Evangelion-themed commission build.

The client hasn’t yet settled on whether to go with these, or the tactile Shokōgi switch with a similar color theme - either way, I’m happy to have such loud-looking switches in my own collection.

These EV-01 linears are good ol’ JWK re-colors, so most of you will know what to expect there.

Initial impressions of note; there does not appear to be any factory lube on these, and there is a bit of spring ping - so some tuning is definitely recommended for anyone planning on using them.

6 Likes

I’ve been wondering what a full GQN set would look like from PMK so I finally ordered one.

It’s slightly darker than L9 and definitely more tan than U9.

I think the L9 of 9009 or epbt beige goes better with the cream space65, but I like it for the low profile of DSA. Seems fitting for this board. It’s such a pretty e-coating. It has a lovely shine around the bezels.

Of course you know it’s impossible to portray accurate whites across screens, but I thought this shot could help.

It’s closest in spirit to U9. However, U9 looks more gray/olive in real life than the tan of GQN.

13 Likes

That voyager is practically begging for some Royal Alphas

3 Likes

I can do that. I have the GMK and ePBT set both :slight_smile:

But the greens are different. Still, might look nice

1 Like

Looks great! The greens in the GMK set clash but ePBT looks nice.

15 Likes

Got the Canvas 2 XL. and in non-keyboard related things, got a Bandai 1/144 X-Wing model kit.

13 Likes

Sweet!

12 Likes

Got a UT47.2 aluminum case in dark gray from Key Hive.

8 Likes

I stared into the abyss and all I got was this stupid hat.

Not really keeb related, but this Black Records cap is a promo for one of the albums I’ve been typing to lately.

Nothing like some Death Dream and keebs to keep me mellow and content as mortality looms in my preconscious. :skull::sparkles:

5 Likes

Sick cap and even Sicker Liquid.

1 Like