What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I heard good things about the gateron switch puller, tell us what is your experience with it :wink:

Hahaha, i still have to yeet some switches with it, since my Hotswap board has been sent to a friend for testing. I will however share my yeeting review when i get it back

My KBDFans Bella arrived 2 days ago and I got it mostly built. (looking for some keycaps that I may or may not have lost) My initial opinion with just the function row and ISO enter on it is that it is SUPER hollow. You’d assume that such an expensive keyboard would have good acoustics, but the hollowness is comparable to my build with the $14 kbdfans plastic case without foam, while the Bella has foam. Even though mine sounds terrible, it is easliy the best looking board I have, and I like the cute little cat switch opener.

1 Like

I don’t know why, but I saw this (hollowness) coming.

1 Like

KBDfans has an uncanny knack for making hollow sounding boards. My 8XMkII absolutely needed foam to not sound hollow. I even tried burger mounting it without any luck.

1 Like

Got some springs in today from 3Dkeebs. Two packs of sprit 55g progressives (I know, I know I hate to support sprit but these are the only progressive 55g springs I’ve ever seen) & one pack of the Flashquark 62g two stage springs. The progressive 55g springs are awesome, really light at the top & gentle ramp up to the bottom out weight. Think I’m gonna really like these once I get them in a build! The two stage springs, eh not so much for me right now at least.

They are branded 62g bottom out, but honestly they feel pretty much like a regular 80g spring to me. I actually still have some leftover 80g springs from “every switch should be ridiculously heavy” days. I’ll have to test them against each other. Although they do have a kinda unique feel, it’s very subtle but I can feel when the first “stage” is compressed & the second one is starting to compress. So I’d really like to see these in lighter weightings. If this is how a 62g dual stage spring feels I think ones like 45g, 40g, & 35g would get them feeling like 50g to 60g normal springs.

8 Likes

Took a break from keyboard media for a month or two, what happened with sprit?

Edit: just realised I lost my regular “role” :((((((((

2 Likes

It’s actually very old news, it might have happened before you even got into the hobby TBH. What happened though is one of the first GB for springs he ran still has a good amount of undelivered orders. I think some people got their orders, but a lot did not. So a lot of people think he used the funds to start his business as we know it know. Then on top of that it is pretty well known that if you order from sprit directly, you might not ever get your order or it might take an obnoxiously long time to deliver.

2 Likes

Ah, ok. Yep, joined the hobby around August but didn’t get into any keyboard “social media” until around October.

3 Likes

yeah that all was like three years ago or something, it has been long enough that a lot of people have forgotten or just never knew to begin with

3 Likes

A lot of the dual-stage springs that I’ve seen have been listed at actuation force, not bottom out force like most springs. I really wonder if that is the case with the ones you got (regardless of what the product page said that is). Good info to have regardless – thank you for your sacrifice good sir :smiley:.

3 Likes

You know what that would make perfect sense actually, good call bud! I did some more testing & 80g springs are heavier same with 78g Zeal springs. Some Cherry silent black springs were the closest I found out of my spring collection.

3 Likes

iirc the Sprit stuff all goes back to, like, 2014 or so and some of it may even predate him going into springs. The tl;dr is that sprit has run a lot of GBs, mostly for cases, where communication breaks down and nobody gets any updates (and, in several cases, never gets a board or spring order) while sprit continues to open more GBs; he was pretty much banned from Geekhack’s IC/GB subforums over this to the degree where they made a special role just for him that makes it so he can’t edit his posts.

I’m told there’s even more drama around him over in the Korean side of the hobby but I can’t exactly vouch for that myself

3 Likes

dang, it seems like it was just, like, a couple years ago but I guess yeah that sounds about right

1 Like

Honestly everything from 2010 to 2015 still feels like it was “a couple years ago” to my brain, while also feeling like it was a millennium ago

2 Likes

I plucked a whole 60 % with the Gateron puller. Works like a charm. Now let’s see how durable it is … :grin:

2 Likes

Good to know, thank you !

1 Like

Mine broke down after 2x60 or so. But I think some superglue can fix it.
And I got some broken switches when I tried to do it fast.
It’s not flawless but I like it anyway.

Are there any recommendations for the durable switch puller?

Got me some DSA Nerd by Matt3o and a Reviung41

9 Likes