What did you get in the mail today? (Part 1)

I thought my package was lost in limbo because of how incompetent the DPD delivery service was with my packages, but it has arrived today.
One set of Jerrzi Fortune switches. Full POM from what i could gather from the listing, with a unique chinese symbol painted/printed on the top housing. They come packaged in these gold fortune cookie-like wrappers to go with the whole “fortune” theme. I have only unpacked one so far but there are 5 switches in one package. Almost no stem or housing wobble in any direction, very smooth and just a very minimal amount of stick slip, but you have to actively go and look for it. they are all long-pole linears and have a nice but loud sound to them. the top housings also say “rich”.
Also, not on the photo here. i have finally received a POM plate, a PC plate and a bunch of foam to try for me Ajazz AC081. The only thing i’m missing for it now is an aftermarket PCB with VIA support. If anyone is ever thinking about doing that, please let me know.

6 Likes

Fun mail day:

• SwitchOddities
  • NuPhy Rose Glacier tactiles
  • S A I L O R W A V E

My inner weeb is pleased… I can think of at least three switches with some variation of the name “Rose Glacier” - but these are supposedly made by Gateron. Looking forward to giving them a try.

9 Likes

A fellow vinyl enthusiast??? LET’S GOOOO!!!

3 Likes

Well looks like I just can’t win with the Salvation, got my replacement unit in today &

big noticeable scuffs on the same area as my last one. Starting to wonder if there is an issue with the soul black Salvys NK got?

6 Likes

Ouch. Took me a second to realize that you didn’t just post the same pic as before. You’d think they would manually QC a replacement board before shipping it out like that :confused:

5 Likes

We actually just figured out the issue over on Salvun’s discord thanks to Soran. It’s the zipper for the pouch inside the case hitting off the board during rough shipping causing these scratches. They very well may have sent out what was an A-stock board at the time. I just let the guy dealing with my return at NK know about it & hopefully Salvun sees the posts on his discord. They need to be putting a piece of foam or something on top of the board to shield it from that zipper. Very unfortunate as it seems a good bit of people that recieved scuffed Salvations had the scratches in the same area. So it might be a fairly widespread problem that does not happen until the final leg of shipping. Since they probably don’t get to jostled around in bulk shipping.

6 Likes

Dude, I had the same exact issue with my Sangeo65. The stupid zipper scuffed the left side a bit, like barely noticeable but still absolutely there. I’m planning on sending it to the Cerakote shop now, but dammit!

4 Likes

Ohhhhh that sucks :disappointed: time to check all of my keyboard carrying cases for inner zippers I guess.

2 Likes

Damn sorry to hear bud! I was tempted to just say F it & do the same with my Salvation, but once we figured out the issue I felt better about returning it a second time. Thinking just a open pouch should be the norm for keeb cases. I know I’m gonna be very picky about carrying cases from now on!

2 Likes

Well if the boards made it to you unscuffed I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I think it’s just the package being tossed around like a football by USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL etc. being the real problem. In regular use the velcro straps should keep the board well away from the zipper.

Smart move. I sadly didn’t get around to building this until way after all boards were sold and no stock was left to do an exchange. Lesson learned.

1 Like

I wouldn’t count on the straps completely preventing damage, personally. I may be a bit paranoid about it but I think it’s worth double checking. For what it’s worth I did go through them (I only have 5) and the only one with a zipper is from prototypist. But that one is designed in a way that sandwiches the zipper against the foam when fully zipped or unzipped so it doesn’t move around, there’s actually an indent in the foam I can see where the zipper stays.

4 Likes

Neat! I know what I am listening to today. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

One solution for them would be to ship the board with the same case but with a micro fiber cloth around the board to protect it from scratches .
After all many vendors seem to do that already, probably for this exact reason.

6 Likes

This is how I store my high end boards; no scratches so far! These cases from Omnitype are temporarily sold out, but came with nice microfiber cloths that fit the case perfectly.

7 Likes

Arrived in Germany to find a very nicely packaged fried egg and some Black Lotus switches and stabs. Looking forward to building this!

9 Likes

Just unpacked the Owlab stabs (haven’t used them before - what are the black thingamabobs for?

5 Likes

Maybe they are for putting near the middle of the wires to make sure the wire doesn’t rattle and touch the PCB.

8 Likes

@Backspace is correct; these absorb vibrations as well as reduce rattle. However…

I’ll add that I found them to be counterproductive in-practice, despite them seeming like a fantastic idea to me. I’ve used other, softer materials in this role (like leftover extra-soft gasket foam) with some success, but these rubber dodads only seem to add resistance to the stab travel and generally impair its function.

One thing I didn’t try that may allow them to function as ostensibly intended; adding some lube between the wire and the otherwise grippy surface of these things. Might be worth a try.

10 Likes

Thanks both (@Backspace )! I agree they do seem like I great idea in principle, but I’ll see if they rattle before going down that rabbit hole :nerd_face: fingers crossed I won’t need them.

3 Likes