What makes for a great gasket mounted keyboard?

I love how keycult keyboards sound (on youtube). If you’re talking about the alignment pins: Do you know if they are meant to be removed before closing the case, or do they stay inside like a permanent spacer to the inner case sides?
I found "PTFE as the material used on their website, I wonder if it has special gliding or shock absorbtion properties. Does someone know?
Sorry for taking over your thread with my questions @anon81470386, but I am also interested in gasket mount methods and materials.

No worries! As for PTFE, that’s Teflon. Very rigid but has an extremely low coefficient of friction.

So, motivation is vibration dampening. With that, I think the right question would be geometry (shape, size, location, and number of gaskets), rather than material.

1 Like

Yup, to get that “gasket” sound without the reverb, you will want to focus on the vibration dampening.
My friend doesn’t want to use anything except gasket anymore because he prefers the poppy low vibration of the gasketed plate.

i just bought myself a WKL Polaris board that im currently building. gasket mounts can go for a pretty high amount and it must be for a reason. anyone who says a gasket mount board is a meme prob 1 dosent own one, and 2 dosent enjoy the finer things in life. its like a cigar rather than a cigarette or wine over beer, an aquierd taste, but than again you didnt ask any of that, nor peoples opinion on if you should build one. as for gasket material you basically have got your answer already, poron, foam, a single or two orings, hell you could get gasket sheet materials and cut it to whatever size you need and use that if you like. there arent a ton of gasket mount boards available or on the market, so if your able to create one that would be an amazing feat and im sure plenty of people would enjoy it and rush to buy it as with all of the other ones. if gasket mount wasn’t worth it than noone would make them or buy them

So… should I buy a fjell in 2021? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, but I prefer a cig over a cigar and a beer over a glass of wine. Should I stick to tray mounting, or go more primitive? Maybe hot gluing the PCB to a piece of cardboard? ;D

1 Like

Yikes… I have a two and would say I prefer tray mount boards over them lol. But then again I don’t like cigars either I always just thought they were a meme that old people pretended to like

3 Likes

Gasket = Tind

1 Like

Lol I feel this so much

1 Like

Fjell is tray mount, but it’s a damn good keyboard, maybe my favorite out of all of mine.

2 Likes

I picked up a Klippe recently and I am so impressed by it. I think a Fjell might be my next board in 2021. Tray mount got a bad wrap for so long, but I really enjoy it and the mod- ability that it allows for.

2 Likes

tray mount with center post removed and o ring mod ftw

1 Like

I need to try this. I did a similar mod on a Tofu, but I just used rubber washers from the hardware store. I need to get some actual o-rings, and maybe longer screws. Only bummer is it does raise your PCB up, and the edges of your keycaps can peek out.

1 Like

This! I’ve been wracking my brain on how to overcome this with my Planck. Only idea so far is to route out an oring sized depression inside the case where the screw hole is.

Just do away with keyboard case. No need to get edgy over edges when there aren’t any. Instead, make a cradle made out of foams. And put the bare-bone PCB and optional plate into it. You’ll get most of what gasket-mounted keyboard feels like for less money and hassle. Sure, it’ll look like an eye-sore but if your eyeballs can learn to ignore annoying ads, they’ll get used to the naked board.

1 Like

This would work. However you could have to keep in mind that depending on how flex your PCB is, shorting the stand offs may cause your PCB to touch the bottom when flexing. Similar concept to what is discussed in this video - Noxary T60 Review - Almost! - YouTube