Which Lube for Switch Lube: An updated guide on the what, how, and where of switch lubricants

It’s true that conductivity issues don’t exist with gold plated mechanical switch contacts. Putting G100 on them won’t make them any better than they already are,

However, it does make a significant difference for hot plug keyboard sockets, USB connectors, RAM, non-soldered CPUs, video and PCI cards, and any other electrical plug-and-socket connection.

G100 is a lubricant for conductive parts, just as Krytox is a lubricant for non-conductive materials. It will make the insertion and removal of any electrical connection feel smoother and generally
better.

In addition it will protect and preserve the contacts over the years. There are other contact lubricants that you can buy at your local electronic component shop for quite a bit less, and they work. I’ve been using them for many years with good results. Deoxit Gold itself is also available in a 5% solution.

But if you want the very best of the best, the undiluted Gold G100 is it. It isn’t even expensive, and a little goes a long way. One millilitre might be enough to service all the electrical connectors in your house and car, including every power cable, audio cable, computer cable and all the internal non-soldered connections within every electrical device. Two millilitres to be certain.

I have a two millilitre container siting on my shelf. So far I’ve done three computers, some power plugs and a couple of USB cables. I’m not in any rush and I only use it when I’m working on something. The container is still almost full.

And it just makes every connection feel nice.

1 Like

You sound like a salesman lol. I’ve been building computers, electronics, etc for a lot of years and I’ve never had and need for anything like that. But hey, if it works for you it works for you. If I was interested in hot swap boards maybe I would give it a try but I generally prefer to have it soldered ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Well I am trying to support myself by selling these things. And I use them myself.

I’ve also mentioned twice that you don’t need any of these products because your gear will work just fine as it is. For that matter, most membrane keyboards will do a good job unless the air is very humid.

Despite the advertising, I think my posts are informative and readers can learn about lubricants by reading them. Nobody is being forced to buy.

1 Like

Look man, I’m not tryna start anything, I was just trying to point out that I think there’s a fine line between something that will make a difference or not. I’m right there with you that membrane keyboards usually feel like crap and lubing switches make them better, but I don’t see any point to lubing the electrical contacts.

A disclaimer up front would be appreciated.

1 Like

Okay. I’m not either. Thanks for the feedback.

A disclaimer up front would be appreciated.

Good point. I’ll try to do it in the future. Hopefully I won’t forget!

1 Like

Are the Lubricants from this site legit?

https://keys.my/lubricants/

I ordered few weeks ago krytox 205g0 at zealpc and it was five times more expensive.

Looks like Store Uni rebranded. I’ve bought from them before, they’re legit as long as you’re OK with waiting a few weeks for shipping from Malaysia.

Er, they’re using the same assets/images as Store Uni and storeuni.com is down, but the address on that site doesn’t match my old receipt so maybe not the same people? Either way, in regards to buying Krytox from Zeal there is a LOT of markup for lubes in the market so I wouldn’t doubt this store based on the prices alone.

1 Like

I must say that I was not happy with bag-lubed springs.
Tried it with TX springs using 106 and they were still pingy.
So I’m still lubing them the old, slow way - with brush using 205g0.
Your mileage may vary…

1 Like

I agree on the markup part. But if everyone has a high markup you can as a vendor undersell for a few dollars for the most profit. As a normal human being seeing a price low like that smells fishy to me (even if it’s maybe legit).

Are you lubing only the ends of the spring?

It’s StoreUni. They posted a message about the move on their Facebook page:

I haven’t ordered through their new site but the lubes I bought from their StoreUni site were good. FYI, I ordered 1504, 103, 104, 105, 203g0, 204g0, 205g0S. All good.

2 Likes

Alright, thanks. I just have a reddit thread in mind, that the krytox 205g0 looked vastly different in comparsion.

I do bag lube with 205g0 and have had good results. I probably over-lube, but I put a lot in and I’ve been using the same bag for quite some time so there is always a bunch of residual in there from the last batch.

1 Like

How big is your bag and what’s your ratio of oil to springs? I’ve personally been happy with my spring bag oil technique. It’s a little ziploc type about 2in by 1in. I do about 500:1ml spring to oil ratio if I recall correctly.

Alright, thanks. I just have a reddit thread in mind, that the krytox 205g0 looked vastly different in comparsion.

Oh yeah. I think that’s why StoreUni added 205g0S which just has more 105 oil added. I tried both 205g0 and 205g0S from StoreUni and there wasn’t any difference in feel during use. But you should go with whatever you feel more comfortable with. I don’t think the price difference matters much unless you lube for a living.

Re bag lubed springs pinging, I’ve been running that recently. I’m going to try relubing some springs using thicker lube to see if that helps.

I like to bag lube my springs since I’m so anal about how I lube all the other parts. I’ve found you want to go heavy with the lube & try to reuse the same bag for as long as possible. Although I should mention I only ever use oils for my springs (107, 106, 105, TX synth. paraffin, 1514, etc.) so going heavy isn’t a huge issue. Doing it this way I have never had much issue with spring ping, but I do also use plate foam/sorbothane struts & case foam on almost all my build nowadays. So I’m sure that’s helping some to beyond just the lube.

4 Likes

Nice to hear thicker oil can be used. I was using 1514 and 103 but I’ll try 105 or 106 in future builds. I’m relubing the Mauve board with 205g0 so I’ll just touch up spring ends with the same while at it.

As to why I’m re-lubing Mauve, 3204 lubed Mauve was nice in the beginning but it didn’t sound pleasant after awhile.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve found heavier oils to work better than light ones on springs, while still keeping them from getting that slightly sluggish feel I find grease on springs gives. Kinda a win win IMO, but everybody’s preferences are different so try it on a few before commiting to a whole batch to make sure you like feel.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve tried 104 but in my memory it didn’t remove as much noise as I’d like. 106 seems to be the sweet spot for me where I don’t get any unwanted movement issues but it dampens the spring noise quite well. Plus oil is easier to work with than grease and it evenly coats the springs in a bag.

Like Rob, I reuse my bag so it’s kind of got an overall coating of oil before I add more.

I also wipe each spring along the side of the bag to ensure it’s been properly coated as well.

2 Likes