$25-ish Soldering Iron (PINECIL)

Alas, this was a good experiment, but my iron inexplicably ceased to function yesterday. It really was great while it lasted, and perhaps mine is an anomaly. I’ll be getting a proper station next, I think.

Totaly dead? Cant flash it or something?

Oh is that an option? When I plug in the power cord, it turns on about 1/3 of the time; and when it does turn on the screen is just random pixels and non-responsive to the physical buttons.

I don’t know, I just thought it was a feature hence the open source part of the pinecil.

1 Like

I searched around a little and found this Pinecil resource wiki. I’ll try using the updater to flash it and see if that rehabilitates the iron.

1 Like

Cool! Let’s hope for the best :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

So, it kind of worked? After I flashed it, it gave me a partial screen of text, and I was able to turn on the heating element once (out of many tries). But it doesn’t work in any reliable way (I’d also consider ‘accidentally’ turning it on with a blank screen to be a bit too risky.)

I’ll keep it and dismantle it, and maybe I’ll learn/fix something by opening it up. Anyway, thanks @skepp for the idea; I was able to learn how to flash this thing and slow down enough to do some due diligence before buying an altogether new station :slight_smile:

Pinecil in the spotlight :eyes:

3 Likes

If I could get one for the 25 I would absolutely get one. I do have a TS80P because of the USB C in favor of the TS100. For 25 it would just be a gold addition to the collection, also with cheaper tips than for the TS80.

Woah! Lots of good “general” soldering advice on here as well. Thank you for the share!

2 Likes

just got one of these for my small soldering projects. The price makes it worth the chance it’s not worth it and will save a ton of space in my tool box. Will look through the thread for any usage tricks/tips/weird things.

2 Likes

I’ve been using an original Pinecil for about a year or so now and I love it. It has completely replaced my Hakko FX888D.

1 Like