3D Printing and Keyboards

That looks amazing, and thanks for the tip - I’ll get in touch.

I ordered a case for my Quefrency Rev.2 from P3D.
The anticipation is of the charts. :joy:

Thanks! Sadly, I don’t know the first thing about running a group buy or printing on a group buy-scale, so, for now, I’m content to leave the models on Thingiverse. I looked around for some cheaper alternatives to Shapeways and, just by way of example, found craftcloud, which gave me a US-based quote of 78.65 USD for the Teardrop (including shipping). (I’ve never used craftcloud before, however, so can’t attest to its quality.) You might be able to find an even cheaper local service.

I also checked 3dhubs, but it has apparently abandoned its locally-sourced 3d print service model and become a closed manufacturing program.

I totally understand, thanks for the tips though, if I can find someone decent and relatively cheap I’ll report back. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello ,
Do you need to custom the keyboard case ?
We are China factory in Guangzhou with 15 years CNC experience.
We can do many surface treatment like PVD , Anodizing, Sandblasting ,Frosted PC/Acrylic E-white etc.
Our main services include 3D printing, SLS, CNC and low volume vacuum casting production.
Hope to hear your voice .

Thanks
Zamol

Curious about the 5 mm ledge around the edge your case designs and how well that worked vs standoffs?

1 Like

Voodoo Manufacturing also is very reasonable for large format printing. You get zero control over options (no choice of layer height, infill, etc.) and you only get three color choices, but the price is very good.

I got a KBD67 case printed up by them for like 45 bucks. However it was low profile, your case likely uses a lot more material.

3 Likes

With respect to sound, there is no pinging at the “g” and “h” keys, where the center standoff otherwise would have been located, but the bottom-out sounds along the perimeter of the keyboard, where the PCB rests on the ledge, seem to be harsher. In contrast, in a traditional standoff design, the pinging would be centered around the standoff positions.

Similarly, the bottom-out feeling around the perimeter seems to be slightly harsher than in a traditional standoff design. Otherwise, though, I can’t detect much of a difference between the ledge design and a typical standoff design. I wonder if this is due to the combined rigidity of the PCB and plate. In a true bottom-mount design, the plate would be the component resting on the bottom half of the case, whereas in both the ledge and standoff designs, the PCB makes contact with the case.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation!

2 Likes

I’m getting a Bambu Lab A1 Mini/AMS for the family present this Christmas, and I couldn’t be more hyped. It uses PLA/PETG/TPU/PVA and not resin, and has a small size (180mm3), but I think I might still try my hand at modular cases, keycaps (double/triple/quad shot is a possibility, with multiple filament colors!), adapters, etc.

Hype level high! Anyone used any Bambu Labs kit?

2 Likes

I don’t use Bambu, just a second tier Ender clone, but check out Joe Scotto’s stuff. He’s taken to printing his own keycaps for his ortho hand-wires. The man does love him some fuzzy-skin setting in his Slicer.