60/40 vs 63/37 vs 62/36/2 Solder?

So I have an 10+ year old spool of 60/40 solder from RadioShack.

I’m wondering if I should replace it with an eutectic solder, such as 63/37 or 62/36/2… I’ve probably still have 6 ounces of the 8 ounce spool left. lol

Any Thoughts?

IMO is probably doesn’t matter

LOL. That’s how I use solder also. If it works, it’s good enough.

1 Like

I have always used eutectic solder. The main benefits are lower melting temp and rapid plastic to solid state, right? I don’t think the second benefit matters much in keyboard building because the switches don’t move while soldering.

Probably not much of a difference one way or the other.

That’s pretty much the guise, that I’ve been operating under.

The ability to solder at a lower temp is always better for the components. and the shorter transition time for a liquid to a solid state, is a plus…

I could just get a spool of 63/37 for component soldering and keep the 60/40 for wire tinning… worst case, someone inherits 2 spools of solder. lol

Use it up before buying more. I had an old spool of 60/40 I used on a few boards & have had no issues with them.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that the spool I have was sitting in my dads garage since the 90s, I don’t even know what it is, but it works great.

I’m probably going to stick with my spool of 60/40, but part of me wants to pick up a spool of 63/37 and do some science… though I don’t think there would be any noticeable differences, when working with a thermal mass as small as the thermal masses, that we deal with.

I’ve had the same spool of 60/40 for so long. It’ll still take me a cool minute before I finish it. Next big spool I’ll get will probably be 63/37 since I’ve only heard good things about it for the last year.

At the end of the day, they all work if you know what you’re doing.

1 Like

80Au20Sn if you want to be extra lavish. :wink::wink:

holy smokes. new endgame build materials there

1 Like

That site doesn’t inspire much confidence when they’re trying to sell 3ft of 92.5% lead solder for $95 and 3ft of normal $63/37 for $75.

3 ft Spool… I think they need product pictures.

Edit: eBay 1LB spool $16

That does make a bit more sense. Kinda an odd measure anyhow though.

Yep, I feel like they are an industrial supplier.

so i need to start a group buy and sell off some of this 3ft spool of solder now? :rofl:

1 Like