A Thread on Topre Modding

TIL: Sticking a piece of bandaid on the inside of a HHKB case plastic clip effectively removes any alignment issues or creaking sounds when reassembling the case

6 Likes

Question re: using Hasu’s aftermarket controller for the FC980C.

Are all keys truly mappable via TMK/VIA?

Context:
I purchased Hasu’s USB2USB controller to use with an HHKB, but found that the many reserved key combinations that the HHKB uses to perform tasks like Bluetooth switching and Win/Mac mode switching (e.g. Fn+X, Fn+Q, Fn+Ctrl+W, etc.) cannot be mapped by the USB2USB controller. Keys with Fn assigned to them will not be detected at all by the USB2USB controller. I believe this is because these reserved key combinations (including Fn itself) are/is processed internally, therefore a keycode is never sent over the wire.

I’m wondering if the FC980C controller includes any similar limitations or gotchas. My suspicion is that the answer is no, since the controller is a complete replacement whereas the USB2USB is a proxy controller, but just wanted to clarify before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!

As you correctly assumed and said, USB2USB is a proxy and only remap standard keys that it recognises. The internal controllers are fully remappable including function keys, I got the usb2usb, hhkb and fc980c controllers.

Cool, thanks for confirming!

Best part is that Hasu FC980C controller is QMK and VIA / VIAL compatible. The latter provides a GUI which makes it much easier for programming. You get access to other functions beyond remapping such as tap dance and macros, it’s a powerful microcontroller :wink:

Hi Topre-ites,
Curious if anyone has a source for HHKB screws. NOT the plate screws (silver, dark grey) but the case screws. I have an HHKB Pro 2 that’s missing its top right screw and I’m hoping to find a replacement.

edit: Found it! Finally cleaned and re-arranged my office and found the missing screw under my couch

1 Like