Alps & Alps clone switch talk

That’s a work of art, right there. Amazing, man.

maybe i should try on my board.:+1:

1 Like

Hi, first post.
I rip off ALPS dampened Creams off AEKIIs and ALPS Ambers off Apple IIc boards for my custom keyboards; I use the ABS M1 as my PCB and case.

It’s too bad we don’t have proper alps hotswap keebs, but I know it’s pretty bespoke. I really like typing on dampened Alps, but also having native USB. I think Topre fans will enjoy these switches. There’s always Matias’ quiet click switches (tactile). Not sure what else out there even exists, to be honest.

2 Likes

Anyone recognise these Alps clones?

They are clicky, that’s pretty much all I know.

PCB (I have no idea what the numbers mean):

The FCC exists, but [url]FCC OET Error Page Error.

3 Likes

Found the wiki on DT for the keypad, but it is said to come with MX blues or Aristotle MX clones no mention of ALPS clones? As for the switches themselves, my guess would something from the Hua-Jie AK series. Honestly putting up a post asking about the keypad on DT would probably yield you the best results.

1 Like

Thanks mate!

I posted the same thing on DT and someone said AK-CN2 from the Hua-Jie AK series. It matches the description from the wiki as well, so I guess thats what these are. Awesome work!

1 Like

Since Alps require a plate what would be the plate material closest to feeling like its PCB mounted?

1 Like

I have a 60% aluminium Alps plate which works pretty well, but I haven’t experimented with any other material, so I can’t really say.

1 Like

POM or PC I’d imagine. Although ALPS are kinda designed around having a rigid plate. Steel plates were the standard for them in OG boards. My hope is with the Salvation you’ll be able to get best of both worlds (well at least with 60% custom ALPS builds). Due to the leaf spring mounting you could use stiff materials like steel & brass to keep the sound fairly close to what it should be. Yet with the leaves allowing the whole PCB/plate assembly to float & bounce when pressed on, it will give a nice & soft typing feel even with the stiffest of plate materials!