Alps Keyboard Kits?

Title is self explanatory, but does anyone know of any good keyboard its that support ALPS switches? preferably 75% or TKL. Been looking everywhere on eBay and other websites with no luck.

3 Likes

Alps is starting to get some love again but still not many kits out there. Only modern Alps TKL I can think of off-hand is the KBParadise V80 Alps; it’s very similar to a Filco Majestouch 2 with a bit less quality control.

It’s an OK keyboard - but it is an Alps-pattern board made in the past decade. I think these generally come with Alps clones in them but who knows, they might sell you an empty one if you ask nicely. It’s a prebuilt rather than a kit, but the V80 can fit in aftermarket Filco TKL cases with a little modding.

2 Likes

The keebmeup discord server is a great place to start.

Some TKLs that support Hiney Bush PCBs can support Alps with the proper plate files.

And this shop specializes in Alps plates and PCBs for some popular kits:

3 Likes

My two cents… I would stick to Alps in a plastic case with a firm plate. I think at least 50% of what gives alps their character is sound. Need a nice, hollow case

2 Likes

^^^ This 100%, it is nice to have ALPS switches in a custom case but I agree with @pixelpusher on this. A roomy plastic case & stiff steel plate is the best setup for SKCM/L ALPS. They definitely lose a little bit of their luster in alum cases with softer plates. IME the custom setups are best for SKCL (linear) ALPS, then SKCM (clicky & tactile) ALPS shine the best in their original setups.

2 Likes