Anime Thread

What’s everyone watching this current season?

For me it is:

Steins;Gate 0
Hanebado!
Island
Angels of Death
Harukana Receive
Overlord S2
Attack on Titan S3

Nicee, Steins;Gate 0! I heard about it but haven’t yet gotten around to it. Can’t wait!

Lately I’ve been watching Hunter X Hunter since it’s the same guy who made Yu Yu Hakusho and it’s pretty good so far. My Hero Academia is great too, but takes a little bit to get started and is a little cheesy at some parts. Food Wars is hilarious as well. I never thought I could enjoy an anime on food but I was very wrong.

Steins;Gate 0
Attack on Titan S3
Hero Academia
Asobi Asobase
High Score Girl
Planet With
Banana Fish
Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight

Will probably drop something before the end of the season (Though not S;G 0, AoT or Hero Aca), just not sure what yet.

I love Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight

I’m watching the stuff from last season that finally finished because I hate waiting a week per episode :ok_hand:

Just gonna necro the thread because no point in making a duplicate;

I feel like in the past 3 years (epesically last year with covid) I’ve transitioned much more to reading manga than watching anime. A big part of it is “the amount of time I save” because I can get through more story and arcs faster than watching anime.

Is Manga just optimized Anime? :stuck_out_tongue: /s

3 Likes

definitely more efficient

In a completely different way, this also makes me think of the “abridged” videos.

1 Like

this is most definitely the direction I took since undergrad. plus some of the more drawn out release times means even less time spent…

yugioh abridged is one of the best animes ever made, just as good as real yugioh (also one of the best animes ever made)

1 Like

Welcome to the readers club. I can think of only a handful of examples where its worth it to watch the anime over reading the manga (looking at you Beck).

Readers rise up! I like watching really well done adaptations, looking forward to Chainsaw Man for example. The studio that’s doing it has been knocking their anime out of the park!

I checked out the first season of Demon Slayer a while back. I got sucked in so much, I finished the manga.

I think I am too old for Shonen now. I think the thing I enjoyed the most was the length and the pacing, but there were some other aspects that I was not satisfied with, most of these are typical of shonen though.

I’d be interested in any recommendations for manga - I’ve been enjoying One Piece (started ages ago with hardcopy Shonen Jump, picked up again recently on Comixology) and I’m wondering what else I should grab for manga…

Any genre preferences?

I’ve only read a few manga but my favorite by far was Cross Game. I was looking for a baseball manga and the internet recommended this one. I got the first volume on Comixology on a whim and had finished all 8 volumes within a week. There’s a lot of baseball in it but it’s also a sweet love story and tale about growing up with a lot of humor mixed in.

I re-read Akira again recently. Manga is pretty great compared to the movie.

If you’re watching any ongoing anime series that you like, picking up the manga for it (which should be further along than the anime) is also a nice way to choose what to read.

Good question. Guess if I go off my book preferences it would be good sci-fi, but also toss in biographies, fantasy, history, “literature”… really I’ll read almost genre if it’s good. Which probably doesn’t help much. I read Akira a while ago, really good; and I wouldn’t have said sports as a genre, but now that @mwb described Cross Game I’m interested.

1 Like

My cousin is the one that got me into manga. She’s the youngest female cousin so my tastes reflect that…