Any buckling spring lovers here?

I have just gotten my IBM Model M, and have been using it for the past 3 days straight. I gotta say that this is the first time when using a keyboard that I don’t really have an urge to swap out for another keyboard. I find myself rushing to swap back to this board right after each video conference from my realforce…dayum…Could this be end game? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the reason is that the typing feel is unlike custom keyboards where the buckling spring feels like a typing tool and every keystroke just feels sturdy and serious. This is very different from custom keyboards that can be distractingly fun with bouncy typing feel such as a well distributed top mount or gummy o-ring mount.

Buckling springs also have this nice “thump”, “ping” and “ting” sound…that is satisfying. I feel like I am actually doing work rather than wanting to type for the sake of typing - which is the case with my custom keyboards.

8 Likes

I enjoy the customizability and variety of new-school mech boards but you can’t beat ol’ faithful IBM models M and F. I have 2 or 3 Models M, one on the family PC (start 'em young) and a couple in reserve. I have a repro Model F on order from @Ellipse that will likely become my daily driver the day it’s delivered. For me, the layout is pretty important, which is likely a limiter on me diving into the rabbit hole of beamspring boards (that and my wallet, lol)

2 Likes

I love me a good buckling spring from time to time! Although I’d definitely have to say capacitive buckling springs (Model F) > membrane buckling springs (Model M)

2 Likes

I do really enjoy my new Model F, but boy it is pingy :smiley:
I’ll soon floss mod it to quiet it down a bit.
I miss the function row sometimes also…

1 Like

The Buckling Spring is one my favourite switch designs out there. It’s simple, yet effective. I love typing on them. Though, I prefer the smoother and crispier feel of capacitive buckling springs on the Model F.

1 Like

I enjoy my New Model F Kishsaver F62 and my IBM SSK.

Here some older photos of them…

11 Likes

Awesome keycap combos. Man… I think finding a decently priced ssk would force me to use staggered layouts again.

which ones do you like to use more! The SSK or Model F?

yeah it is just so satisfying with a thump at every keystroke that feels so solid and “seriouss”

I have set the new Model F (F77) as one of the things I wanna get sometime this year…it just looks so good, and I have tried it at a meetup. The switches are definitely lighter than model Ms, which I think can be less fatiguing :smiley:

1 Like

According to a shipping email, my F77 should be here this week. I’m so excited!

2 Likes

Generally prefer the Model F, but the SSK is a looker.

2 Likes

Any buckling spring lovers here?

Allow me to introduce myself

They’re definitely my favourite switches! I’m one of the odd ones who prefer membrane to capacitive buckling springs - mostly due to weighting, but I’m happy with either to be honest.

My absolute favourite buckling spring keyboard is the Model M-based IBM 5576-C01 Japanese TrackPoint II Keyboard. It’s essentially a slim M13 with JIS layout and a fancy large rotating arm that’s designed to allow the keyboard to be parked on its back for extra desk space. Buckling spring :white_check_mark:, TrackPoint nipple :white_check_mark:, JIS layout :white_check_mark:, amusing features :white_check_mark:. Its tooling would later be repurposed by Unicomp to become the EnduraPro.

10 Likes

I am sure you will like it!

I have this Unicomp in the rotation. The case is not good but the switches and the keycaps are excellent.
I think not being able to try original Model M or Model F so far allows me to enjoy the Unicomp better.

6 Likes

dayummm…this one is so clean!

I feel like trying a unicomp though hehe

1 Like

oooo is mr Sharktastic replying! I have been reading your blogs & reviews!

1 Like

Awesome, hope you’ve been enjoying them!

1 Like

Wait, that’s like the best looking Unicomp I’ve ever seen in my life!

Looks much better than the black cases they use for most of their models

Only the top part of the case is beige, the bottom part is black, which makes it look even cooler.
Not sure why Unicomp decided to continue only with black color for the new models.

As for the photo, I didn’t use any filters, but the colors still look a little bit better (more creamy?) than in real life I must say. Photo taken with Oneplus 8T. It’s still looks good in person though.

1 Like