Any ideas for a last minute house/apartment-warming gift?

It’s not that I need an answer within the next 6-7 hours… but I’m totally open to hearing ideas considering I might have been slightly irresponsible and haven’t purchased anything yet…

1 Like

Classic Korean housewarming gifts:

• lots of toilet paper
  • a big box of matches

Very handy in times of war, apocalypse or pandemic.

9 Likes

A cool bean bag chair or hammock. I’ve received both as gifts and couldn’t image not having them now even though I wouldn’t have ever bought them on my own in the first place. Go figure, life’s weird.

1 Like

im with you on this. i’d rather get a home depot bucket of bulk cleaning agents/mop refills/sponges/etc.

@Manofinterests depends on how tight you are with the intended recipients but i’d be relieved someone’s covering my first month or two of household supplies, especially if they’re hosting people and have to clean up after everyone anyway.

1 Like

Practical gifts are great, but if you want something they’ll always have and remember you by, you could go with something kitschy. I still have a super gawdy touristy San Francisco ashtray, given as a housewarming gift from almost 20 years ago, and I don’t even smoke.

2 Likes

Single recipient that I’m romantically involved with

1 Like

may you still be entangled after your gift choice KEK

youll have to come back post what you got

1 Like

neutral sand beige earth color home decor, planters, ceramics of undetermined size and shape to hold god knows what, --or whatever aesthetic they have, usually storage boxes and trays of a decorative nature can be nice

some fancy blanket/pillow set in their preferred colorway/material

if they have pets–tread carefully-- but something appropriate for the breed (since its nice to remember the pet members of the new home as well)

barring that since you’re…involved idk if preparing food and drink to serve at housewarming is part of your default duty or is separate.

2 Likes

It’s not a housewarming party; she just moved into a new apartment and I happen to be the first person to be visiting it in… 7 hours.
So I figure I should probably get something nice lol

1 Like

You: Wow, you sure look great today. Guess what, I’m going to cook/order us some dinner.
Them: :blush:
You: Why don’t you sit and relax, have a glass of wine (or whatever), and tell me about your day.

… and boom goes the dynamite. Lol.

1 Like

Whatever you didn’t sell in your last keyboard closet clean out would probably do nicely!

1 Like

:ok_hand: I’m already bringing her food since she’s had a tough week.

I’ve heard her complain 3 times about not having a fan in her room.
One complaint could just be random. Complaining about an issue twice means it’s a minor issue. Complaining about an issue 3 times means I should probably address it :joy:

Aside from that, a “fun” gift would be nice. Maybe a gift card for Bed Bath and Beyond?

2 Likes

Is there a bathtub? Then get some nice bombs for that.

Food is always good. I would not get anything permanent for someone to keep at there house if that is what you are asking. People like to control there own space. A nice candle is underrated imo

1 Like

I think I’m going to second the inclusion of a nice candle.

They can add a little coziness to a space, and a pleasant smell is always nice - especially in a new place. I bought a house earlier this year and before I even had a couch or appliances in there I had a wax burner going.

1 Like

Have you ruled out a nicely framed photo of yourself? Perhaps something like the Costanza couch pose?

9 Likes

depends on her love language
bring the food and the fan, feed the hungry and cool her down, then the follow up date is like those cost plus world market kitschy type home goods things in the evening idk

quality time + acts of service > gc…just take her out on the spree after dinner

1 Like

Home goods gift card bath and body works for fancy soap.

Ceiling fan! They are the best if there is already electricity for it.
Edit with insulation :wink:

2 Likes

Late to the party, but I’d have shown up with a bottle of wine, a fancy scented candle, some sort of dessert, and sent them off to the couch to watch TV. Meanwhile I’d probably gone through the house and replaced old outlets that plugs fall out of, tightened up loose door handles, greased squeaky hinges, swapped out light bulbs, tightened up faucet handles…

…and a long list of other dumb stuff that drives my neurotic self a little nuts.

3 Likes

Update:

Brought over food and wine. Everything went well :slight_smile:

6 Likes