Anyone use the new GMK QMX stabs in a build yet & if so how have they performed?

So I got a set of QMX stabs coming in today & am also planning on finally building my Thermal + today or tomorrow. I also have a bunch of TX stabilizers which has quickly become my favorite stabs. Just wondering if it would be worth giving the QMX stabs a shot on my Thermal + or if I should stick to my tried & true TX stabs? Kinda hoping I can do a one & done build with this board if possible. So any info from people who have actually used QMX stabs already would be greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

I had to go out of town before I built anything with mine. I’ll be watching to see what others think :blush:

1 Like

Once I get my Salvation back I’ll probably throw together a build on the one 60% hotswap PCB I got to try them out. Just don’t want to have desolder a board over them if I don’t like them or they have some issue. I’ll definitely report back when I try them!

I’ll be curious to hear what people think of these. I wish there was a video or review available prior to preorders closing in Canada. Have to wait til April now for mine!

1 Like

Alexotos did a twitch stream on them and was unimpressed- as in “nice, but nothing revolutionary”, but he wasn’t very methodical in review, so ymmv.

(His reviews tend to range between “nice and very nice” anyway, but they are pleasant videos to watch I find)

2 Likes

Of course, for science! :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

The one thing the Alexotos review did say was that, once clipped together, there doesnt seem to be any easy way to open them up again. So, if your lubing them, make sure to do this first.

I know that seems like common sense, but I’m the type of person that buys these, as much to see how they work, and would end up having a dry run of building them first…

2 Likes

That’s good to know, and a real shame as I’d try the exact same thing without that knowledge!

1 Like

He made a new one yesterday.

2 Likes

Still waiting on my Salvation to get back, however I do have the parts to build the hotswap setup for it on hand. So I’m gonna build that up with the QMX stabs then throw it into my Klippe T or Noxary T60 for now just to try them out & give you guys some feedback. I just got in from work a little bit ago so let me chill for a min then I’ll get on it! :+1:

So I tuned up some of those QMX stabs & gave them test on one of my HS PCBs. FIrst impressions, tight & quiet. Overly tight though, I may have added a bit too much lube into the wire pocket in the slider but it hasn’t loosened up after some pretty serious spamming so it just may be how they are. They make the upstroke just a tiny bit slower than un stabilized keys, enough to notice & bother unfortunately. On the upside, you can remove the sliders from the housing, you just have tilt it towards the clip side when it’s fully extended & it pops right out. So lubing was not as tedious as I thought it would be. They are dead quiet when lubed to.

Think I’m gonna take these back apart & remove some of the lube in the wire pockets which should hopefully make them feel less tight & lose that tiny bit of sluggishness I’m getting. Then give them a shot in a full build when my Salvation gets back to me. Will report back once again when I do that. So far I think they have potential, but do not surpass TX stabs being honest.

6 Likes

I was just thinking… there is no way to add lube to the wires if they start rattling down the road. Ha. Is this is bad design for that sole reason?

2 Likes

You could add more lube to the wires by pulling the slider all the way up in thousing, but I agree it’s a bad design on that point. It’s a shame really too, if they left the back open for easy tune ups & relaxed the tolerances just slightly I think QMX stabs would’ve been a home run. Really now that I think about it I’m not sure why all these companies are so intent on producing stabs with extra tight tolerances between the slider & housing. IME you do not want a super tight stab, they’re something that needs a little play at least to work their best. Have you tried any of the TX AP stabs yet? Tighter tolerances is what the AP version is supposed to bring. While I do think there is some room to tighten the tolerances up from the last rev. of TX stabs, if they go to tight they’ll ruin them.

1 Like