Apple Silicon - Late 2020 Mac Mini M1, an interesting option?

i meant to thank you the other day for sharing your m1 experience so far. looks like 16gb will be the way to go, but i was curious what the higher wired ethernet meant. for me personally, the sweet spot would be to get a mini around the $1,000 mark or less. isn’t your current config at $1300 without the 10gb ethernet?

Yeah $1299 plus tax it was $1400. That’s with 16gb 1TB. So it’d be like $1510 for me with the 10gbe.

1 Like

16gb with 512gb SSD would be decent machine for $1099 plus tax. 256gb ssd might be okay as well if you dont’ mind storing more of your data on external drive. That’d be $899 plus tax. The most important upgrade is the 16gb ram by far.

1 Like

As they more or less announced the M2 revision, if you are not in a hurry maybe waiting for this would be a good idea.

2 Likes

I noticed people rock the LG 48” OLED as a cheap alternative for video editing. Plus it supports GSYNC.

I am going to hold out for Apple M2 over the summer. Hopefully Microsoft will roll out Windows 10 for ARM by then.

2 Likes

Windows 10 already is on ARM! It’s wild, it’s been there for years! Either Apple or Microsoft didn’t want to work together on Bootcamp for the M1 Macs, but the ARM chips Windows laptops shipped with just don’t have the performance that the M1 does. What they did have was battery life. Parallels (commercial virtual machine software for macOS hosts) currently has the ability to run Windows for ARM in a VM but you can’t just buy Windows for ARM so you’re using an “insider preview” version. See the Parallels KB article for info on what that process looks like. Which is also what you would need to do if somehow you could dual boot Windows on the M1.

ARM version of Window is bad, they have no software support. I think the way of Parallels doing is more like emulation rather than really running it real windows on ARM

1 Like