Are there any standard layout Kailh Choc keyboard kits?

I realise the adoption for the Kailh choc low-profile switches have been slow, but why are there more non-standard kits for them? For example, this from keeb.io and this from gboards.com?

Are there actually any standard kits out there? By ‘standard’ I mean not ortholinear, split or ergo in any way.

I’ve been searching for a while and haven’t found any, what’s the solution to this?..Perhaps desolder an existing board that has them and solder in the switch you want?

There are some staggered 45% boards:

There are no 60% or larger PCBs that support Choc to my knowledge.

1 Like

i know somebody who was planning to make a 60% or 65% choc compatible PCB but i’m assuming he never got around to it

Note that the choc switches have their own footprint, incompatible with other switches.

As far as I can tell, most keyboards that use those switches don’t use a plate, or even a case, so it’s just a PCB. That means you can easily make a PCB with any layout you want, order it from the usual Chinese fabrication services, and you are done. I can help with that if anybody is interested.

1 Like

Yeah, they have different pin outs, that’s not an issue for me.

For reference, I have the HAVIT HV-KB390L keyboard and it has choc switches, can I just desolder those switches and put other choc switches on it?

Also, I didn’t know you could just make any layout anf have it frabricated. I like the idea, but I know I wouldn’t be content with just a PCB. It does seem quite tempting to try though.

1 Like

The switches used in that Havit keyboard are not regular Kailh Choc switches. In particular, the keycaps are not compatible (the two tabs are closer together in Havit than in the Kailh switches). I don’t know about the footprints, but I wouldn’t be very surprised if they also somehow differed.

It’s a bit more involved, since you have to draw all the traces too, so it’s a bit of work, but it’s very simple in a program like Fritzing. More professional PCB design tools, like KiCad, require a bit more work to learn to use them.

I suppose designing a plate and a case to be laser-cut is not that hard either, and there are laser-cutting services out there too. Some can even CNC steel for you…

1 Like

Anyone here tried one of these? NuType F1 Wireless Mechanical Keyboard at $119.95 | NuPhy®

2 Likes

It’s a very clever idea, though it’s designed for a Macbook which I don’t own + I don’t see any use for it on my side. Also, this just goes to show bad the new butterfly switch is.

I assumed you knew about Morgrie, they have a 60% and 65%.

https://en.zfrontier.com/products/morgrie-rie60

1 Like

Not sure what you mean? They use the regular choc switches, not the butterfly?

I meant the butterfly switches on the Macbook, not the choc switch keyboard.

Oh, I see. Because Kailh also has those butterfly switches:

I saw those on Aliexpress by random chance. I’ve not seen them in any board yet, but I hope Kailhua puts them to good use because they look very promising.

I have a few of them for testing, but I don’t have key caps for them, because the minimum order was 50 pieces.

I may have been wrong there, but scrolling down this Aliexpress listing, it shows the switches installed in a low profile keyboard (looks a little bit like the Apple Aluminium board). Could just be a render though, I can’t tell.

That is a 100% render.

1 Like

Has this situation improved since 2020?

They’re not kits, but complete keebs, and not expensive:

Reasonably-priced Kailh Choc keebs (Geekhack.org)

I just checked, and they’re still available. I ordered one of the full-size Browns, and it’s terrific—definitely the thinnest MK I own, but very well made.

1 Like

How are the Browns?

Well, I suppose no longer!

Thanks for reviving this tread @Ander I completely forgot about it.

I did recently come across this keyboard from MK. Whilst, I’m not the biggest fan of its layout (especially that FN key), I think it should serve as a basis for testing out choc switches…if anyone is still interested in doing so. I sure still am.