Audiophiles, audio & stuff thread

This was my hobby before keyboards. It still is but I’ve downsized and haven’t bought a significant piece of audio gear in about 3 years, which is an awesome feeling of being content.

DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit, fed via BNC by a Digigram card
Headamp: Eddie Current Zana Deux S
Headphones: Modded HD800, HD660S, and Beyer DT770 for if I need closed
IEMs: Campfire Jupiter
Speakers: JBL LSR305 at desk, KEF Q900 towers with TV and Vinyl

I also have a Clearaudio Performance DC Turntable, but don’t have the speaker rig to really do it justice due to living conditions.

5 Likes

Ooof, would love to own a Zana Deux one day.

1 Like

What headphone stand is that

It’s a ROOMs Audio Line Type FS-N

1 Like

A big Q;

Do you guys think tube amps are more beneficial for headphones*, or speakers*?

* in general

1 Like

It’s of course a very personal experience: sound. There’s no right or wrong choosing between valve or solid state amplifiers.

If you want the most clean, analytical version of a sound, sure solid state amps provide that. Keeping in mind that they also have a specific characteristic. For instance my Marantz is known to play “warm”. So if you often listen to jazz; smooth vocals, etc. these will together as a whole. Not to say that it can’t play rock, pop, etc. but it will certainly have a smoothing and warming effect on the sound.

You can disable this (partially) by setting it to direct mode, disabling large portions of the digital filters, to get the most true representation of the audio.

There’s a big but… There’s something “noble” about wanting to have the most realistic representation of a recording, but does it also sounds the best that way?

Valve amps on the other hand are known to distort the music in a good way. They’re known for making the music more musical. Another big take is that the higher the volume, the more distortion you introduce but in contrast with solid states, the distorted sound is more musical.

So as often, with many things like music, photography, mechanical keyboards, … it all comes down to preference.

I think my audio setup works great, is smooth, warm, etc. (living room setting, solid state device, used for music and movies) but I also like the sound of a valve amp for headphone use. I think it’s part aesthetic. There’s cool in watching the valves, wondering how it works. It sounds differentl, but I wouldn’t put one above the other.

4 Likes

I really like my HE-4XX. I think its one of the few audio upgrades that I made that was noticeably better primarily because the sub-bass is so addictive on it and the soundstage is very wide. Only with an EQ on it though, the default setting was giving me headaches from the high end.

In particular though, I think its amazing what kind of change Apple made in the world by forcing everyone to cut the cord. In just what, 3 years?, wireless headphones/buds have achieved 8 hour battery life with solid pairing and syncing all for $40. It literally feels like magic. I much prefer the wireless lifestyle as my old audio gear used to last me 6months since the cords would always break on me. Wired headphones aren’t as much of an issue for a desktop experience, and quality ones usually have a good cable that is replaceable.

Anyway, I’ve recently acquired the new Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro true wireless earbuds and they are very good. Pretty much the only thing I miss in comparison to my HE-4XX is the sub-bass, but I think the Soundcores have better Bass, and if you turn the Bass EQ on it produces vibration at only half volume.

From personal experience, I honestly haven’t found massive differences between a good solid state amp and a well designed tube amp.

Both can present a very clean overall sound with minimal audible distortion (the stuff from Woo Audio for instance is typically pretty uncolored in sound). The inverse is also true, for instance the Black Widow from Eddie Current (a solid state amp) is known for having a ‘tube’ like sound. If you’re looking for a significant change in tonality from your source equipment, you’re better off just using EQ (either in your digital chain, or with hardware).

If you really do want to put some tubes in your chain, keep in mind the equipment you’re driving. High output impedance on say an OTL tube amp can be problematic for a lot of headphones.

2 Likes

In case anyone from New England is here, there is a Head-Fi meetup this weekend (Sunday 11/10) in Westborough, MA.

Details here: 2nd Annual WickedSchiit Meet - New England - Nov 10th, 2019 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

I’ll be attending again this year and will be bringing most of my planars and ZMFs. Should be a pretty solid collection of gear to demo.

1 Like

Headphones : Audio-Technica ATH-A1000Z
DAC : Schiit Modi Multi-bit
Headphone Amp : Schiit Vallhalla 2 with a Schiit Magni 3 as a pre-amp
Speakers : Studiophile AV 30’s
Speaker Amp : Schiit Vallhalla 2 with a Schiit Magni 3 as a pre-amp

My journey started 6 or 7 years ago because of a need for new headphones and a head that has had one too many concussions. I found the wing style of the Audio Technica headphones appealing and got a set of ATH-A700X’s that are still on my desk at work today. My 1000Z’s are broken at the moment because the plastic housing shredded on a trip. My fault for putting them under the stress they weren’t designed for. The sound on those is so good.

But now, I’m enjoying my tube life and need a new pair to complement the hardware I have. If only I had money that isn’t going into a new keyboard to spend lol

2 Likes

Modern:
Headphones:
DT 1990 Pro
DT 1770 Pro

DAC:
SMSL SU-8

AMP:
Drop THX AAA 789

Speakers:
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX - These things sound amazing for PC speakers. Was an easy buy, after my old Klipsch Promedia 4.1 bit the dust after 12 years of service…

Classic
Receiver:
Onkyo tx-4000

Speakers:
JBL L46

Other:
Senhiser RS175/HDR175 - I used these for about 8 hours a day for 3 years straight (That’s almost 9000 hours), while playing games and watching videos, with my now wife. I think they might be going bad, as there is 0 sound stage and new pads didn’t bring the sound stage back. I should probably send them off to the retirement facility… Also, LDR’s can be hard on your headphones…
Bose QC25 with a Btunes adapter - Office / travel

I got that same headset when I started at my employer too! It’s ok. Sounds decent, the ANC is good enough to block out the HVAC noise in the office, and battery life is ok.

Hello, the majority of the content in this thread was from Oct 2019.

Any recommendations for headphones under $100?

I’m looking for something with decent sound just to get by until I get acclimated with what is available.

Thanks in advance.

I see a few pair of Sennheiser hd598s on eBay for under $100. I’ve had mine for about 5 years and I love them even more than when I first got them. They are so comfortable!

Keep in mind they are open back headphones, so others will be able to hear your audio if they are close and the volume is moderately loud.

Probably any used Sennheisers, Audio Technica, or Beyerdynamic on eBay would be a great deal.

Also might check reverb. I’ve only ever purchase from there one time, but it was a good experience.

1 Like

I’ve had a lot of different system. Here are a few of my favorite:

11 Likes

Thoughts on Grado SR60E/SR80E?

I have not tried them so I’m not sure.

Nice equipment, and nice view :wink:

1 Like

If you like a lot of treble, and not a lot of bass, modern Grado’s are for you.

I’m not a huge fan of Grado, but I tend to prefer something more dark/less treble heavy. Their build quality on lower end models is also eh.

Check out the Koss Porta Pros if you want something cheap that will do the trick. Otherwise save up and get the usual standard Sennheiser HD58X/6XX if you want something neutral-ish.

For an inexpensive (really inexpensive) set of closed back cans I would recommend the Status Audio CB-1. The sound quality really punches above it’s weight, are really comfortable, and can be driven by any source. The only caveat is that they are made entirely of plastic and don’t feel the most solid – that being said I bought a pair for work almost 3 years ago as all of my other cans are open back (and I didn’t want to drop any kind of money to listen to music in the background while I work), and they still feel brand new. They have been around long enough to have a million reviews so you can see if they fit your needs and desired sound signature.

1 Like