Audiophiles, audio & stuff thread

Mine is fairly basic but really does me for my day to day use!

Headphones
beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

AMP/DAC
Schitt Magni & Modi

1 Like

New cans getting their stretch on.

Picked up a pair of HD600’s as I need a brake from the DT1990 (The treble is getting to me). Compaird to the DT1990, vocals and string instruments have sounded slightly better on the HD600 and the HD600 is less fatiguing to listen to. The DT1990 still takes the cake for clarity, detail retrieval, bass extension, imaging, and sound stage.

Note: Definitely need a shorter cable. I’ve been spoiled by the coiled cable on the DT1990 / DT1770.

2 Likes

Headphones:
beyerdynamic DT1990

DAC:
smsl m200

AMP:
smsl sp200

1 Like

That view is amazing!

1 Like

That view would look wonderful to have all the lights off in the room while Daft Punk plays

2 Likes

I can hear it now…
https://youtu.be/dwDns8x3Jb4

Sennheiser are definitely skull crushers if not stretched out (at least on my melon). I love listening to my HD650’s for vocal tracks – it’s like the vocalist is giving me my own personal concert right in front of my face (very rich and warm sounding). Although a controversial pair of cans, I like listening to most other types of music on my M1060’s. Not as resolving as something like a Sundara, but they sound so full, open, and the bass is perfect (never heard a better kick drum on headphones).

1 Like

Decided to give tubes another shot… Goddamn S&R discord.

Pictured is a new to me Ampsandsound Mogwai SE. This particular model has been around the block (I believe it was a demo unit) and is kind of a mid way point between the original Mogwai SE and upgraded V2 variant.

Preamp tube needs to be replaced as I’m getting some noticeable noise on the right channel (oh the joys of tube ownership…). Plenty of power to drive pretty much anything in my collection easily with the exception of the HE-6, which needs to be turned almost all the way up with the stock tubes.

6 Likes

Can’t go wrong with a pair of efficient cans and a tube amp!

I’ve been debating about trying a tube amp, but I don’t know where to start and the online audio community seems to disagree on weather they are good or not. lol

Check out Audiokarma. The best audio resource IMO.

1 Like

I’m going to buy some nice headphones sometime in 2021…and it’s all you guys’ fault…

…Thanks in advance.

5 Likes

Don’t forget the DAC and AMP!

Your welcome. :wink:

Will check them out. :wink:

Of course! Gotta have a tube DAC and tube amp to give you that warm, gooey sound :grin:

1 Like

I’m rocking the Bose QC35 II (yeah I know) since I wanted to try out how good the noise cancelling is. Turns out its pretty good, so I kept it. I’ve heard people say its not the best in sound quality though.

So, I’m now eyeing the AKG K371 though because you can apparently make it wireless if you use it with something like the Fiio btr3. Guess its another hobby to get sucked into hehe

1 Like

The QC series is good at what it dose. Still rocking my QC25 at work, with a Bluetooth adapter.

Haven’t heard the AKG K371, but it sounds allright.

1 Like

I have an AKG K7XX from massdrop and a schiit modi/magni stack, and tbh I’m not convinced the stack is any better than just plugging the headphones to the front panel on my PC/whatever is baked onto the motherboard besides the fact that it gets louder. I’m seriously considering taking out the schiit stuff when I move to simplify my desk.

New addition… Please pardon the dust. I’ve been waiting for tubes to arrive, as the stock 6AS7 arrived with a hole in it. Currently running a GE 6as7ga JAN and a RCA 6SN7GTB, with an RCA 6AS7G JAN on the way to play with. It sounds rich and organic, in comparison to the THX 789.

Also tubes are pretty!

7 Likes

I may be taking positioning to seriously…

8 Likes

I have the old pair of Hifiman HE-400i’s and I’ve been thinking of upgrading/replacing them as the ear pads’ glue bits for the inside cover thingy are disintegrating.

I’ve been looking at either getting another hifiman pair of cans (Sundara), or the Avantone Planars.

Any others in a similarish price range to these two I should consider?

1 Like