Best switch type and weight for numkeys?

Hi everyone!

I just got some keypads from KBDFans and realized that I have to solder these. Not that it’s a problem with soldering, these are going to be a gift to my friend who is a statistician. He uses his num pad like he’s on crack bashing, mashing his potatoes.

So, I am here wondering what do I choose before I commit. He hits his keys repetitively a lot and seems to enjoy more linears than tactiles.

In case you wanted to know, I got him a grey KBDpad MKII and I just ordered GMK 80082 keypad.

Thanks!

1 Like

This is highly personal, obviously. But what I still prefer on external numpads is the tactile switches, and I don’t mind heavier ones there - whatever I enter on numpad typically requires me to be precise, so I appreciate stiffness and soid feedback there.

So, Box Royals work there for me, but TBH - anything tactile works.

1 Like

Agreed with that one, you want tactile feed back when hitting the numpad, trains your muscle memory for a different set of movements. That being said this is highly personal. I would honestly just change it to be the opposite of my switches for the the other keys.

I built a KBDPad for a family member and we went clicky. I would suggest either Kailh BOX Jades or Kailh BOX Pinks. Both felt great, but we went with the Pinks.

My family member works in finance, and she wanted the office to hear her clicking away so that they know she is working hard :joy:

1 Like

It’s hard to say cause everyone will have a different answer. I have noticed that a majority of people seem to like heavier clicky or tactile switches on their separate numpads/macro pads. Although you did state your friend likes linears over tactiles so maybe a heavier linear switch would be more in line for their tastes. I’d say some hyperglide MX blacks would fit that bill nicely. MX blacks are pretty heavy & they should be still fairly smooth from the hyperglide retooling.

1 Like

hey qq so I had like a big backlog of switches I was trying to use up but now I’m kinda looking to get some more, is there somewhere I can just go buy the hyperglide blacks or do I need to like find a gb or something? It’s one I’ve def been curious to try

1 Like

Right now Candykeys is the only vendor I know that has them in stock. Unfortunately they are a EU vendor. I think 3Dkeebs had a GB for them & there should be some extras when they get them in though. Here’s the link to Candykeys, Cherry MX Black (Plate Mount) | Candykeys

2 Likes

There are many right answers, since it’s subjective.

I even got a relative one of those Ducky standalone numpads. It had MX Browns, and I was skeptical. But after trying it out [with DSA keycaps] it felt fine. No problem. Easy.

Someone else got one with MX Silver, and he didn’t like it. So I would avoid those.

I have a keyboard with heavy [60/62] Ergo Clears, including on the Numpad, and it’s fine. Very definite.

1 Like

Really appreciate the input.

Right now, I have the hyperglides on their way for another build that I am doing. I will find out soon enough!

2 Likes

I also found mine in South Korean vendor called Swagkeys. These guys are pretty dope. Got my tangerines and alpacas from here as well.

2 Likes

hmmm, looks interesting but shipping would be almost $20 to the US for $25 worth of switches… I guess I’ll have to look and see if they have anything else I would want.

1 Like

That’s true. I ordered like 300 switches of all kinds haha

1 Like