Boba U4T and GMK keycap tolerance

Hey all,

I just stumbled upon this Reddit post where a user speculated that Gazzew Boba U4T stems were larger enough to cause GMK keycaps to come loose or crack. Gazzew himself responded and the y-axis broke 1.30mm, and that GMK may be moulding tighter fits.

I can’t post the link because I’m new, but just search “Boba U4Ts have a thicker stem”.

This is a cause of concern for me because I just received a bunch of Boba U4Ts, however I should be fine if I don’t use GMK keycaps with them. Just a heads up if any one wants to try these with GMK keycaps.

EDIT: I don’t want to cause too much alarm as there is still little detail or evidence of this issue occurring. This may go both ways, it’s possible that GMK may have made their stem openings tighter due to QC issues.

2 Likes

Between the few bad BOX switches still circulating, attempts at dialing UHMWPE stem-size, and this… the Cruciformer tool need to make a comeback.

Does anyone remember / know who was developing it? If they were willing to share the specs with a vendor/mfr, I think there would be at least modest demand for such a tool - I know I would buy one.

3 Likes

I’m still new to the custom mech hobby but that tool looks like it would definitely would come in handy. From the same Reddit thread, Gazzew mentioned that he’d ask the engineering team to make the future molds less than 1.29mm, so hopefully future batches will fix this issue.

2 Likes

3 Likes