Box Cream Switches!

I doubt they’re silent but that might explain the extra travel. If they put these into a mold designed for a shorter traveling silenced switch and the silencing method is absent… you get the full 4mm travel? dunno. Talking out my butt here.

I dont own any of these round stem box design, and I can’t seem to find images of the internals on the web :frowning:

1 Like

Here’s some quick phone photos of Silent Box Brown internals:

2 Likes

well, they can’t just remove them or that would account for more than .4mm of travel. The mystery continues

2 Likes

Do you guys lube your box switches? Thoughts on lubing these?

I have never tried it, but I think you can lube the little nub in box switches.

1 Like

@zev @djmantis I have some information about that here.

1 Like

dang i have so many switches but like ill probably get these if they still have them when i get home

1 Like

Thanks for the info guys! I am gonna try it unlubed to start and go from there. Using on a preonic with PBT MT3 keys, interested to hear how it sounds

2 Likes

Thanks for the info everyone. Grabbed me some to throw on the Planck. I really enjoyed the original Cream switches and had great success with lubing them. Can’t wait to give these a try!

Man, I’m excited to see how these turn out. If they’re good, they’ll be a more-than-worthy replacement to the TTC Golds i put in my hotswap board - those things are yuuuucky!

I think these switches use new moulds because these are 5-pins switches, not 3-pins like other silent box switches.
that would explain the full travel :thinking:
edit: or these switches aren’t silent at all

Trivia time!

There have actually been 5-pin Box switches out there for a while now, but they’re pretty much exclusive to the Korean market unless you use a proxy. Called “Art Box” switches, they were commissioned by a company called Archon, and two other differences are a better factory lube job and a tapered top housing for North-facing Cherry compatibility (like the Box Silents have) - these pre-dated the Box Silents and still have the square stem.

Edit: I forgot to mention Crystal Box switches, which also have five pins. Crystal Royals, for example, are a toned-down but refined version of the original with an all-clear housing and comparatively mild tactility.

5 Likes

Some very early first impressions here.

A photo:

Comparison with Silent Box Brown stem:

4 Likes

Box creams came in today!

My first impressions: these are going to be a good recommendation for someone looking for purely stock switches. There is zero spring ping (the opposite of my experience with stock normal creams), and they are actually surprisingly smooth. Granted, I am the one who made a post a few months ago about how I like the normal cream scratch, but these objectively are smoother. The springs on these feel lighter and less “progressive” imo. I really liked the feeling of the normal creams springs and these feel a little different, like they’re consistently light throughout the whole key press.

The big downside for me is the sound. They sound significantly thinner than the normal creams, with none of the thick clack that I enjoyed from the latter. To me, so much of the appeal of the creams was the sound that these were pretty noticeably different.

edit: @Deadeye beat me to the punch!

7 Likes

They look cool though. That’s definitely a plus in this game of switches that all feel pretty much “good” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mounted these in my tester board today - they popped in with a satisfying crunch, not too loose, not too tight.

So far, I think the switch these remind me of most is the Gateron Yellow - but with the sound and relative firmness of POM and the stability of a newer generation Box switch. Noice.

Another thing I can say about these is that they don’t seem to suffer from the slight bind-y feeling when pressed slowly - and unlike the first generation of Box switches (ignoring the fat-stemmed ones), these appear to have a nice, consistent resting position.

On the whole, these seem like a positive evolution for Creams and Box switches alike. I don’t usually type as well with linears, but I managed one of my fastest typing speeds yet with these - something about them provides positive enough feedback for them to feel intuitive to me.

7 Likes

Do the tops creak a little bit like stock MX Creams do? Because that’s the one thing that kills my enjoyment of those switches.

I haven’t had that happen yet - they seem pretty snug.

same here. they are very uniform and consistent in terms of sound so far

I will be building them into a Fourier later this week. I think they will feel great with the FR4 plate.

1 Like