CannonKeys Bakeneko60

The white case was gone in a few min and the rest within an hour (they must have had quite a few for that longevity). They seem to be reviewing well, so it probably won’t be long before they are back in stock, and possibly in better coatings.

2 Likes

That exactly, I really wanted to grab a Bakeneko60 from this first run just to support such a cool project aimed at getting premium feeling typing experiences in people’s hands without a premium price. Unfortunately I just didn’t have the extra funds before they sold out. So my hope is the coatings will get better on future runs & those of us who had to pass on this first drop will have their patience pay off!

2 Likes

yeah hopefully in future runs, the hotswap PCB will be the 7U bottom row version with split backspace support! :smiley:

2 Likes

Have any Bakeneko owners here attempted to strip the paint themselves or get the case refinished with Cerakote? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello community, I actually shared these the other day @ cannonKeys discord channel.
I am very pleased with the results of removing the aqua paint coating and hand polishing the board lightly. In the eyes of purist keeb collectors this might be petty. But I quite like the feel & sound it has produced. Thought I share here as some might be interested. Cheers!

15 Likes

That texture you got on the side profile looks awesome.

3 Likes

This looks really great! Nice job. It would be awesome if you could do a separate post on here maybe explaining how you achieved this. This is definitely something I have thought about doing. :beers:

4 Likes

What did you use to hand polish it? I have a raw aluminum Noxary board that I’ve never worked on.

1 Like

:pray: Thank You, when I removed the paint… it had this sort of brushed effect to casting already. I also hit it with a wire brush. I wish I would have use a more heavy duty nylon brush. I could have prevented some of those deeper scratches. Aluminum is pretty soft raw. The polish helped give it a more finished feel. And the brushed effect is pretty sweet I agree.

2 Likes

Thx, that’s def possible if the community in interested … I probably would have never attempted this If I was able to get a black or white one, haha…

I used aircraft remover for the paint. And Mothers Aluminum polish. Shine er’ up!

6 Likes

I might want a bakeneko60 now. =D

3 Likes

omg this looks fantastic. it is really interesting to have this in raw unfinished form, it will be also quite fun to see this in high polished finished too :smiley:

3 Likes

I can only speak for myself but I’d be very interested to know your process!

1 Like

Documenting the stages of this mod was a bit of an afterthought. Although when I was able to pick this up 2nd hand, I had full plans to attempt stripping it. It was the only color I could get my hands on. Knowing that it was full cast aluminum gave me the confidence to actually go for it. I was worried about the screw holes & damaging the threading for the daughterboard… but it was pretty smooth in that area. I applied the aircraft remover generously in that area, but not directly into the screw threading.

The process was nothing special. Just brush on the chemical and let it do the work. Within minutes, the paint will absolutely begin to peel off. Scrubbing & brushing out the goo was a bit tideous. If I were to do another one, I would be more cautious to gouge the surface with deep scuffs from wire brushing & cleaning. The polishing part was done w an old rag and good ol’ mothers aluminum polish and lots of elbow grease :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I used to polish a lot of my motorcycle parts with this stuff. Which is where I got the idea to try it out on the bakeneko60.

Anyone who can acquire this keyboard, and loves to do modifications… and play w acoustic’s will not be disappointed. Its not the perfect machined board with pvd and chamfered edges. And even the mold itself has its imperfections in shape. But personally I really appreciate this design for what it is… and what you can do for its potential at the price point that it is offered. I had to pay a little more… but Im super happy with it. I hope that I could help those interested in this kind of modification. Its not for the lighthearted… but the process was fairly easy.

I would be interested to get my hands on a Maker Phantom to compare form factors, sound and design.

Cheers…

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Anything else you did to modify acoustics? I’ve seen all different methods but never on a stripped version like this

1 Like

:pray: Happy to share with fellow enthusiasts… Im always eager to experiment and learn more as well!.
I tried ALOT of dampener material actually. custom cut neoprene(mouse pad), foam, shelf liner, poly-fil. Also in different amounts & placement. I did not try silicone though. I arrived and decided to run with no dampener at all. Just raw case internals & pcb assembly. The more I experiment with my own equipment… the more im beginning to move away from foam & dampeners as much as possible. Unless there is absolutely nothing you can do to eliminate hollowness. Im guessing it depends on the board. Which is why I love the versatility of the Bakeneko60. You can tune it to sound sooo good with many different switch types. Ive seen so many great contributions & builds with this board.

I am currently using an aluminum plate filmed / lubed HolyBoba’s w 205G0.
60gL TX springs donut lubed with a brush 205G0
screw in stabs / modified cherry clip-ins for spacebar & backspace
gmk Wob caps… I think all these things contribute to the final acoustic result. Pretty much tactile heaven for me with a more creamy sound profile…still, the aluminum sets it off very softly & still having a sharper crisp clack than fr4.

I also tried to use shaved modified screw-in stabs for the spacebar & backspace with unsuccessful results.
I think the pcb may have too much flex allowance when installed. Which in turn bow’s the pcb assembly a bit. That little bit I think may cause the issues I experienced. Super wobbly space bar & backspace. Im not sure if other owners had this same result… just my experiences.

The sound and feel however is just butter… I wish I had proper equipment to record a proper sound test.

2 Likes

think there back in stock today is what it says on the website around 11am est

4 Likes

the texture is amazing

1 Like

I wish they would offer some more interesting colors. If they are going to paint a board, at least give us some fun colors. Pastels. Even Beige.

8 Likes

I actually really like the raw aluminium look, cheers

3 Likes