CannonKeys Bakeneko60

This is a cool upcoming budget alternative to all the injection-molded plastic options -

Bakeneko60

• $130
  • gummy o-ring gasket mount (similar to Unikorn)
  • cast aluminum case instead of CNC (cheaper to manufacture but painted, not anodized)
  • FR4 plate and hotswap PCB standard
  • centered USB-C port via daughterboard
  • based on an open-source design
  • sold in-stock starting 4/21

Links

Looks like it’ll be much more affordable to get into a flexible typing experience / nice typing sound once this comes out! Might even be worth stripping the paint and going with a custom paintjob locally. What does everyone think?

12 Likes

Great find. Would love to see if over-sized plate padding can do what gummy o-ring can do without compromising.

It is nice to see design that focuses on simplicity and actual typing feel over say, adding rotary encoders (which I love/hate, but mostly hate).

There too many great products coming out these days. It is a nice problem to have, but… my poor wallet.

5 Likes

This is so amazing. They’re going to absolutely dominate this niche of custom budgets. I wish they offered a CNC version for a slight premium though. I’m thinking they’d run into more QC issues by going with paint.

Whatever, I’m still picking one up. :nerd_face:

1 Like

I am super stoked for this. I was really considering the UTD356 mini for the gummy oring, but it seemed a bit overpriced. This is perfect to try it outt, and it’s in stock too…My KK Lightwave V2 came in at the perfect time!

2 Likes

Very cool! Love to see stuff like this.

1 Like

yeah I think this one is a good buy!

1 Like

For the targeted $130 price they’re going for, this looks like an absolute game changer in the entry mechs space. A metal case definitely feels a lot more premium than any plastic injection-molded case. And there’s a “proper” gasket implementation in the form of the gummy o ring

4 Likes

Finally, a board that I can do stupid stuff to and not feel bad!

3 Likes

yeah this will be way easier to build than a tofu with no screws :smiley:

Great price! I like the aim they’re going for. But how do you pronounce the name?

2 Likes

It sort of matches Japanese according to Google Translate, so I’ll be be pronouncing it like that (Hit the speaker icon).

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I don’t have a cheap hotswap that I can use to test switches on without the worry of wearing out or tanking an expesive/irreplaceable pcb (let alone have to be overly protective of the case). I have a feeling though, that I may enjoy the typing experience regardless.

First review is up. Typing sound is pretty darn consistent, as advertised!

6 Likes

Noice

I literally can’t do anything other than tsangan layout without getting unnecessarily irritated lol and I can’t justify spending almost $200 just to have the backspace 1 row down. Looks like an awesome introductory keyboard though! The price is insane

2 Likes

I’m sure a future revision will support tsangan.

So tempting!

The soldered PCB supports Tsangan, but it’s a $40 top-up

1 Like

Ha! Didn’t realize yesterday was release day… Sold out… lol

3 Likes