Changing Tastes

It’s just such an amazing board and deal!

In my case it’s not so much the Quefrency fault but more the combo of MT3 caps, 50g springs and the fact that I need to type more than I thought while gaming(biggest reason for getting it was to get more mouse real-estate). :confused:

Another thing is the macro columns to the left that I wanted to use for my F-row, but by the time I finally had it I had grew so accustomed to the fn+number on my 60% that I don’t use them at all. :grimacing:

Now as of last night I have changed the springs to 63,5g Complex and I must say that it made a great difference so the next step will be to get a 60% left plate and use it as a 65%.

For the future, I also have a plank ordered from dorp that I suspect will be more up my alley when gaming. :yum:

I’m pretty pumped on medium tactility switches being made again too! It’s what I started on & TBH could still be my favorites if the whole UBER TACTILITY thing didn’t blow up like it did LOL! Yeah clicky bois haven’t seen much love since Kaihl clickbars. Although don’t forget about the 3 in 1 switch Zeal is working on. From what I gathered it’s gonna use SKCM ALPS type leaves for click & tactility so they might end up being some very very good clicky or tactile switches!

Layouts - long time TKL user, when I entered customs world there were no available custom TKL in stock, so I went for 65% and it is usable. Tried 60% as well, which I hate (need my nav cluster, layers can sod off). At the moment I have 3 TKLs on the way, HMKB, KBD8x MKII and U80. No more layout experiments :slight_smile:
Switches - always preferred linears, hasn’t and probably won’t change ever. Have some silent alpacas on the way since I haven’t explored this particular avenue yet. :slight_smile:
Keycap profile - at the beginning of my customs journey I used SA exclusively. Still think it’s the best looking profile and will never sell off my 1965 set. But then I went back to cherry profile and found out that it’s indeed much more comfortable to type on. Having high hopes for KAT profile as a middle ground between cherry and SA and will try KAM as well.
Keycaps material - I think I actually prefer PBT kaycaps to ABS ones at the moment.

1 Like

SA 1965 is one of the best looking colorways of all time. Fight me!
(but must admit SA Camping is close, too bad it’s made of unobtanium…)

My taste has been changing on many axis.

1. Layout: Full size -> 75% -> 60% -> 40% -> 60%.
  2. Switch: Clicky -> Tactile -> Linear
  3. Focus: Keycap -> Case -> Switch -> Lube/Spring/Padding

Changing taste mean spending a lot trying different things but at least I lost interest in keycaps and cases early.

2 Likes

I use to love linears, but I didn’t know any better. The Steel Serries 7G was my first keyboard.

I started with MX Blacks then moved on to MX Blues, because I loved the tactility / sensation of a clean brake away, but got tired of the sound, so I moved to tactile switches MX Clears then Zealio V1s then Zilent V2.

As for from factor, I went form Full sized, to 40%, to TKL & full, to 60%, to TKL to, The Classic ThinkPad 7 Row (Tex Shinobi).

I Feel that I’ve found my sweet spot with the Shinobi and Zilent V2’s, after almost a decade of experimentation.

Hears an article, that I read prior to ordering a SteelSeries 7G, where Maximum PC ran over a &G with a Truck and it still worked.

Source

Edit: If any one is wondering, the 7G is still working and my father is now it’s care taker.

1 Like

The 7G was my first mechanical keyboard too, and I was impressed by it’s tank like build.

Switches and layout were not pleasant for me so the search for endgame began.

The second board, a CM Masterkeys Pro S Brown MX felt like a joke in build quality, so it went away fast and I almost gave up on mechanical keyboards. Then I’ve got a Ganss GS87 with mx clears, then an alu Filco case for it, then DSA keycaps, then SA, then another set, then a Model M, then a TKL Zealios Filco, then a custom, then a split, then…oh God, many more…

1 Like

If the 7G would have came with a standard ANSI lay out, I’d probably be using it to this day, all be it with different switches, but that B.A.E. key, makes it impossible to find a full keycap set. :slightly_frowning_face:

The wrap around wrist wrest was one of the best wrist wrests, that I’ve ever seen included with a keyboard, it made it look like it was intended to be used with an old IBM AS/400…

2 Likes

True ! I’ve recently seen some cheapish ,taihao like,replacements sets on aliexpress but didn’t saved them :slight_smile:

Edit:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNsgpJv
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msejrwP

1 Like

I came across a UK site that was selling just the enter key in different colors, a year or so back, but at that point, I had moved on.