Cheap functional tester

Yep, me too - I have a buddy in NC that also ordered one, I’ll let you know if we get ours.

1 Like

I do need a switch tester right now, so I will let you all know how it is out-of-box.

1 Like

Yo, same.

1 Like

I got mine today from AliExpress- cost about £23 shipped. Only put some switches in (and batteries…) but both wireless dongle and Bluetooth work well. Haven’t put it though it’s paces by any means and it’s proper plasticky - but £23 Hotswap Bluetooth? Pretty good so far.

1 Like

So it doesn’t have wired connection, I take it?

How are the stock stabilizers? I’m trying to figure out if I need to line up replacements. And I understand it comes with silicone dampener? I’m not sure about this. Like, is it included or already inside? Anyway, you’ve provided some clarity about the device.

That’s right - no wires allowed here. I’m waiting on some keycaps which are on their way so a full test is a day or so away. But stock stabs seem to be fairly basic. When the caps come I’ll see how it all comes together. So far it’s a nice surprise.

2 Likes

Apparently, this can also be found on AliExpress, as the Tester 68.

I probably should have ordered from there, as it is only $41 CAD shipped, whereas the KBM68 is $38 USD.

$15 USD on TaoBao

3 Likes

1.) I get a kick out of the fact this thing is sold under the name “Tester”

2.) <$30 for a promo sale makes total sense - but I genuinely wonder how it would be profitable to sell it at $15, regardless of what part of the world it’s coming from

Either way, I’m happy to see a hot-swap 65 kit be so accessible. I remember just a few years ago I was excited to spend $200 on a keeb I essentially used as a functional tester. Keebs for all! :fist:

3 Likes

I just bought this, looking to somehow mod it to accept a wired connection though. I may end up fruitless in this journey but if anyone has any clue as to how to do it please contact!

Im just over here wondering if I should try to get a bunch of these boards to use to show off my keyswitch collection instead of a bunch of acrylic testers lol. Id have to buy what 12 of them at least for all 751 switches in my collection >.>

1 Like

It’s real:

2 Likes

Built mine up yesterday using some leftover stuff from my MX days (Gat Yellows and some PBT keycaps I got from Drop). The case is made of soft plastic that I’ve already dented all over the place. Without the keycaps the board was just $50 including the switches, so I can’t really complain. It has arrow keys so I’m using it to replace my Anne Pro 2 at work.

6 Likes

I also just realized the travel case that I use with the board costed more than the board did before shipping fees…

3 Likes

I don’t need this. Yes I do.

4 Likes

Well, I can tell you it’s a 68-key…

Am I remembering right there’s a different GK68 that’s wired and has the backspace key all the way to the right?

I am so happy it says TESTER 68 on the PCB. This thing knows what it is and owns it.

2 Likes

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

• It exists! :smirk:
  • It also works! :grinning:
  • It’s exactly what you’d expect :man_shrugging:
  • The silicone is good :+1:
  • The stabs aren’t dry but sound like it :bone:
  • They should be fine with some tuning :droplet:
  • Those aside, sound is good for a tray :speaker:
  • Layout is pretty standard for a 65% :keyboard:
  • I don’t think it’s change-able in any way tho :man_shrugging:
  • Might not be the best tester, because…
  • The switch-plate fitment is tight :clamp:

The Aflion Icebergs fit and come out comfortably, for example - but Gateron Yellows or JWKs or Kailhs etc. all fit too tightly for my comfort, at least if I were to use it as a tester. If I planned to leave the switches there for a while, no prob.

It’s quite a bit like the NK65EE’s plate, except it’s steel.

So alas, my plan to use this as a test bed for documenting is out. Portico it is.

That said my feelings so far are that $25 is an absolutely-no-complaints price for this thing - and you can use it as a tester - it just might chew up the clips on your switches and annihilate your mild steel puller.

8 Likes

Yes, my impression is that it is pretty barebones and solid-feeling.

My only issue with it, as you indicated, is that it has a stiff metal plate. Which is what you would expect.

A good number of my boards are alum / steel-plate, so that’s okay. It’s good for testing for that kind of build, like an HMKB.

I’m testing a lot of RARA-stem derivatives on mine right now, and they slam down hard. Fitment seemed tight when I installed the switches.

Boards like this, I put silent switches in. The silicone dampening seems to work kinda, as it isn’t as echoey as hollow metal boards, but I can still hear a disturbing amount of internal switch noise. [This is the problem with tactiles].

2 Likes

You could always file the plate cutouts to loosen it

I’m definitely considering it. If I can get it about like my GK61 (which has been out on-loan for ages) I’ll be happy; the smallest of switches might be extra easy to remove, but none of the others get mangled on the way out.