Cherry MX2A RGB Black Switch Review

Hey all,

Who would have ever thought we’d have not one, but two different major switches getting revamped in the same month? To not draw this out any longer because this review is already quite long in and of itself… I’m happy to debut a review of the Cherry MX2A RGB Black switches - the replacement and upgraded (?) version of the iconic MX-style switch design.

Article: Cherry MX2A RGB Black Switch Review — ThereminGoat's Switches
Scorecard Repository: GitHub - ThereminGoat/switch-scores: PDF Repository of switch score sheets.
Force Curve Repository: GitHub - ThereminGoat/force-curves: PDF and Data Repository of switch force curves.
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/theremingoat

As always, thank you all for the continued support and readership! I got the chance to connect with a handful of readers at The Keyboard Meetup at Novelkeys last weekend and it was an absolute blast to get to share the collection in person. If you’re going to be at the Cannonkeys meetup here in a few weeks, I’ll be bringing just as many switches and even more cool stuff as well. Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Goat :goat:

9 Likes

Welp. That’s unfortunate. :rofl:

But you do make a good point that they are trying and these are truly an improvement. Just was hoping for a more drastic improvement.

I’ll definitely try them out, as I have every cherry Mx switch produced up until now.

Thanks for the article link! Just found it on Reddit as well

8 Likes

Sound is what I care the most about so definitely disappointing.

The sound is perhaps the worst aspect of the Cherry MX2A RGB Black switches, as the two-tone stroke and scratch sounds are incredibly apparent in stock form and become increasingly more aggressive at higher actuation speeds. That being said, though, the housing collisions are at least fairly muted and the switches seem free from high-pitched, metallic ping across any batch.

Will still get a set though. At least I’ll be able to say “yes, I tried it” when I wine and whine.

Thanks for the review. Very timely.

1 Like

Hopefully Cherry releases unlubed version of MX2A.

1 Like

I think doing that will have a bit of a backlash as they will probably feel way too similar to the current Cherry MX switches.

1 Like

I wouldn’t doubt that at all but still, I trust myself more than that factory lube job.

I was expecting that barrel shaped spring to be more, well, barrel shaped. Overall, it seems that all those innovations amount to very little.

2 Likes

I think I noticed some slight differences of this type when I looked inside the Cherry Ergo Clears. Such as the new lube placement.

Same here. And even with that lubrication still some springs present an audible ping.

1 Like