Cipulot EC PCBs

From what I gather, the EC60 is made compatible with the GH60 board.

From the GitHub repo:

• Layout size: 60% (GH60 outline and mounting points, see pictures below)

The PCB size is: 285 mm x 94.6 mm and 1.6 mm thick.

Iā€™m taking baby steps, looking into KiCad to make a 40% ortho PCB.

It would be wayyyyy cheaper to go with something like JLCPCB. Or even PCBWay, Elecrow. You can play with the GitHub files to get different prices JLC prices with assembly (plus shipping).
5pcbs = $192
10pcbs = $300
20pcbs = $470

If getting FR4 plates they usually come back and ask for $15 extra for machining after the order is placed.

3 Likes

Sharing what I have learnedā€¦ these arenā€™t the 80s consumer electronics PCBs I dabbled with my soldering iron :smiley:

These PCBs are built in four layers ā€” very new to me. Understanding the routing across these layers is mind-numbing and fascinating at the same time.

Thanks @Dave, thatā€™s really helpful! May I DM you to ask a few more questions about the order process?

Hi there,
just landed after seeing a message from dave about the order specs.

I have added a dedicated section in the readme of the project with specs and notes about the options to use. Hope this clarifies a bit the process :smile:

10 Likes

Hopefully JLPCB restocks usb-c ports soon; Iā€™ll probably be placing an order between 5 and 10 boards :smiley:

Idk if theyā€™ll restock them shortly. One thing you can do is to grab them from the parts manager and have them in your inventory. For whatever reason JLC and LCSC still treats their warehouses as separate entities, even tho theyā€™re not.
Thatā€™s usually how I do it, stock in my personal lib parts that I know they are fluctuating in price/availability so that I never run out.
Currently LCSC has those usb ports iirc.

5 Likes

Just placed an order for 5! :tada:

Iā€™m nervous that I did something wrong, but I followed the provided instructions, so hopefully it all works out. :crossed_fingers:

Big thanks to @Dave and @Cipulot!

1 Like

Iā€™m assessing two options for a case:

1. Grid600 rev2 (when it releases). The HHKB blockers look really clean, and its tray-mounted so it should be compatible. I may run this by Grid (the creator) first.

2. MK Milling Walnut HHKB Case. It appears to be made-to-order, and is designed specifically for the HHKB layout with the GH60. Seems like a perfect match.

1 Like

Both seems like a nice options NGL. One thing you gotta check is if thereā€™s enough space for the spacebar stabilizer protruding. That way you can use OEM/DES parts no worries. If space constrains donā€™t allow it then you might want to consider alternative spacebar options. For those tho I donā€™t have the footprints yet and for now I donā€™t have contacts for custom made ones beyond the OEM versions.

Weā€™re in business, baby!

10 Likes

Quick follow-up for anyone who might be making their own EC60.

I spoke with the creator of the MK Milling Walnut HHKB Case and confirmed that it will not work for the EC60. His case is tightly coupled to a particular plate that he provides. The mounting points between the case and plate will not align otherwise.

Iā€™ve yet to find an off-the-shelf, GH60ā€“compatible, tray-mount case with HHKB blockers. So Iā€™m going to design my own! Stay tuned.

7 Likes