Cleaning overlubed vintage blacks

Hi,

I bought some vintage blacks in mechmarket and they came with a lot more lube than I like. There is very thick layer of lube everywhere, when I take the stem out I can see quite a lot of extra lube in the leaves… people are savages! :joy:

I’m thinking of trying a ultrasound cleaner with some dishwasher soap, but I haven’t done this before so a bit of advice would be great. Is it very important that I use distilled water? Could using tap water make them more scratchy? Anyone has some experience or advice doing the housings? I’m a bit worried about the metallic leaves. Does anyone know if it is ok? Any advise drying them? Can I use a hair dryer?

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Personally, I would get a box of cotton swabs and wipe them out. Use some paper towels for wiping the stems. Once you remove the excess lube you should have a nice thin layer on everything, which is actually ideal.

I also have some dental applicators that get into nooks and crannies

But it doesn’t make much sense to remove all of the lube to only have to add more later.

2 Likes

thanks, do you use some special cotton swabs? I was going to try to do that with one of them but it’s really hard with regular swabs, there is very tight spaces to get to the different parts and the swaps are too big

I use dental applicators to both apply and remove lube

I suppose you could also use a brush. Just start at the bottom and wipe up/out

Again, unless they’ve used something wrong, there’s no need to “clean” the switches. You just want to remove excess. Now… if they have something sticky in them or the wrong kind of lube, you’ll probably have to ultrasonic them.

2 Likes

I hadn’t seen those, I’m going to try them for sure!
What do you think is the advantage over the usual brush?
Do you think you get more consistent results?

I’ve always used them to lube. So I can’t speak of these vs brushes. :man_shrugging:

They’ve worked out great for me though.

1 Like

For the stems, put them in a zip lock bag and “reverse bag lube them”.

3 Likes

That’s such a good idea!
I guess I can put some absorbent material in there as well :+1:

1 Like