CNC Magic:TRUE Integrated shell (gapless sheel) Glitter65 r1

CNC Magic from the East: World’s first TRUE Integrated shell

Configuration: USB Hub, Card reader, Wire, Hot swapping
· Color:Anode ink blue, Electrophoresis white 6061 CNC

Our structure is very innovative, making possible the idea of an integrated and drawer-type structure

By milling a whole piece of aluminum, we have made the main body of the front-end structure “an artistic journey of a piece of aluminum” and achieved the acme level of integration.

We hope that the innovative “space capsule” will lead to a new trend of customized keyboards.

After completing the patent registration, we will open up the common drawings and licenses of the tray to all developers to create a standardized tray for space capsule structure, so that customization is no longer limited to the z-axis mounting method.

Do you like this innovative structure? Welcome to discuss!

This product is currently on the market in China and has received high praise(Equivalent to 299 USD). Would you like to buy it ?

2 Likes

But why? Is it just to hide the seam where the two halves of a keyboard case come together? I mean, already a lot of designs seem to adequately hide the seam on the bottom of the board.

Is it just tray mounted on a drawer that slides in from the top? Is there not still a “gap” where the case is closed from the top?

I wonder how much the drawer might rattle against the rest of the shell.

2 Likes

I agree with @yeeb. Why though, especially if its a standard traymount or stack mount keyboard. I could see if the tray was done for a novel mounting method, but beyond that it doesnt make much sense to me. @MoeeTech can you clarify the PCB/plate mounting & some of the reasons behind having the tray?

2 Likes

This is a drawer-type structure that allows the player to finish assembling the liner before the front sequence, and then finally just push the tray into the space capsule and you’re done. Isn’t it very simple and even a bit “novelty”?

However, our appearance style may not be as exquisite as the common 65% but rather incorporates a futuristic and technological sense. This is a more differentiated design for the same price, so I wonder how you like it?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Yes I agree it is very novel & simple. I like the aesthetics of the keyboard, but still am a little confused as to how the PCB is fastened to the tray. From the pics I’m assuming stack/compression mount (the foam shims the PCB in place against the housing when the tray is inserted). Overall I do like the ideal of having a few keyboards that could have their internals swapped by simply removing the tray & replacing it with different one. However at the price point of $299 I will more than likely pass on this project. However that is more down to my personal preferences, so do not be discouraged by that. I think you have a good ideal here, I’m just not a fan of the way you executed on this particular board. I wish you good luck going forward with this project & will keep an eye out for future projects from you!

Thank you for your serious review of the keyboard, firstly the link to the installation video for this product is here:GLITTER 65 / FishClub_哔哩哔哩_bilibili

for the price: the fact that the price of this keyboard is discounted to a minimum of 149USD in mainland China instead of 299USD is a conversion mistake. Secondly, we have the installation video for you to browse (unfortunately, the video is not localised at the moment), thank you very much!

This reply was posted by the keyboard designer himself (not the editor of an overseas forum) (translated by Google)

2 Likes

I think you guys do not know how hard it it to make an intergral. Just like for high-end knives. The whole thing is machince at once from a single billet etc. it is much much easier to make two halves.

Even in this community, though, the appetite for novelty for its own sake has a limit. If the result is not pleasing in accordance with the price point, whether aesthetically, tactilely, or acoustically, then it won’t gain much traction.

For another analogy from a different hobby, in the Fountain pen world, occasionally makers will want to market their hand-turned wooden pens. Anyone who takes a even moment can appreciate the skill to implement the wood-turning, but the end result is typically built on unremarkable commodity components and has questionable ergonomics, so within that community the pens rarely draw much attention.

I can look at this drawer mount and see that the machining requires extra steps, possibly a higher end mill, has to be done very carefully, and needs to start with more expensive stock, and yet the benefits (as communicated so far) seem to be for edge use cases like people who would like easy changing of unpopulated PCBs, or those who would prefer the seams be on the back rather than the bottom. Construction may be faster as well, with fewer screws.

I think the questions posed to @MoeeTech about mounting method, and the logical followups about sound and feel, are fair and polite. It seems like a nice keyboard, but if a novel manufacturing technique pushes price up without addressing consumer preferences, it is mostly an engineering curiosity and may not sell very well.

EDIT: The Chinese-language video helps with some of the questions; it’s worth checking out, though this is still not a board for me personally.

2 Likes

Very true. And it’s really weird with regards to things like patina. Unless it’s forced, like by Kneedeep etc, patina-ed weights etc in keebs is pretty much looked upon as old or a defect. In high-end fidgets or other metal-based hobbies, peeople actually like or look for nice naturally patina-ed stuff.

1 Like

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:Thank you for your comments. This is our R1 product, and we have improved it. The R2 version will soon be available for sale. If you are interested in our products, you can explore and exchange ideas here:MoeeTech-KB kit&Keycaps

The video was helpful. Thanks for sharing that.

My concern with the build process is that hotswap sockets can be broken by installing switches without supporting the hotswap socket underneath the PCB, but it seems like on the Glitter65, it may be impossible to install switches before installing the (gasket mounted?) PCB in the case. On a plate-less build like this one, it seems especially risky and would lead to a lot of damaged hotswap sockets.

Hi, thanks

1. We use high quality hot-swap mounting raw materials and technology. In testing, we have inserted and removed switches until 57 switches were damaged, yet only one socket was damaged.

2. If you happen to dislodge a socket during use and provide corresponding photos, our after-sales service can offer you a replacement circuit board for under $20.

3. We will consider this design flaw more and make targeted changes in Glitter65 r2.

Cheers!

1 Like

So while thinking about purchasing one of these for a review, I negotiated a 30% discount for you. :smiley: Use the KBDNEWS coupon code at checkout (R1 only!). This means you can get this CNC’d alu kit for $111-$132. Not many keyboards left, this is practically a clearance sale of the R1. The Moee.tech team is now focusing on R2.

4 Likes

Actually, I ended up ordering two of this: both colorways and both quality (“levels”) to be able to do a proper review. You may wait for my impressions. Hopefully there will be still some items left when I publish my write-up. :rofl:

2 Likes