Coffee talk

I have been using:
https://www.craftcoffee.com/
They have a pretty good selection and the coffee is roasted right before shipping.

2 Likes

For roasters, I luckily have two local ones that seem pretty decent. Check around locally if you have any roasters. Mine are Backstory Coffee and Dogwood Coffee here in Minnesota.

I also have an aversion to brewing things with plastic parts. The Hario switch has a bit of plastic that might come into contact with the hot water but not much as far as I can tell. That’s one of the reasons I went with that as my main pour-over vessel.

2 Likes

For Cold Brew, I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C36HVWK/

Along with this:

I used to use the Fellow Duo for my normal brew, but I’ve just reverted to using a Nespresso.

Fellow has some good guides (good product too, though pricey)

1 Like

Generally the guideline is 1:17, weight of beans to water weight.

It takes some fine tuning.

I also use a Baratza Encore, set to about 30, and a Bodum stainless steel insulated French press, which badly needs a new plunger (it’s only still holding on by the flimsiest of threads, but I’m cheap and haven’t replaced it).

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I feel like that might also fix the muddy/silty end of the cup I’m getting.

3 Likes

Got my scale over the weekend. This morning I made a French press with suggested weight ratios and ground one notch finer (28) on my grinder. Huge improvement!

5 Likes

Now you can start to refine further!

2 Likes

Recently picked up and started experimenting with a puck screen. I have to say, I am really impressed!

I think it makes a lot of sense in my setup, a Breville Oracle, because I have a lot of inconsistencies due to the fact my machine includes an automated grinder and tamper. The puck screen produces a lot better flow across the puck.

I would still recommend this product to everyone though cause it is relatively inexpensive (14$ for me) and at the very least keeps my group head clean since I no longer have grounds touching it, and it makes the pucks easy to pop out.

3 Likes

I don’t have much substance to add here, but…

Any fellow Aeropress enjoyers??? I tried pourover for a month and liked it, had fun… then I swtiched to an Aeropress and now I don’t think I can switch to anything else. So fast, convenient, and fun to brew with. I’ve never made a bad cup with this thing. It’s insane

– (post written on GMK Cafe :laughing:)

3 Likes

Anyone have good suggestions for on-the-go/camping coffee and coffee prep?

2 Likes

You’re gonna be the talk of the campfire when you pull out this bad boy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tltBHjmIUJ0

2 Likes

Oh yes, I love my Aeropress. The only thing I could want more is a way to make more at once.

We also have Rancilio Miss Silvia that sees a lot of use. I briefly entertained picking this up as a hobby, but decided after get the special grinder, espresso machine, and a few pieces of gear that this was not a hobby I could maintain along with my other costly addictions. However, I feel pretty solid with our setup and I suspect it will last us a good long time.

Thankfully, living in Oregon means I’ve got an abundance of coffee roasters in Town. I personally fond of the coffee from https://caravancoffee.com/. They offer a stable selection, but also bring in coffees from all over the world. So you can get the blends for your mixed drinks and the single-origins for your unadulterated coffees.

2 Likes

There is now an Aeropress XL - AeroPress Coffee Maker - XL | Double Capacity AeroPress

3 Likes

For camping espressos… the 9Barista with a nice hand grinder maybe?

1 Like

Depends on the kind of camping. If I’m going backpacking I bring these instant coffee packets. The cappuccino ones are my preference since the others are very sweet. For car camping, I bring my French press with pre-ground beans since I don’t have a hand grinder.

3 Likes

Can you paste the nutrition panel here? Or just let me know what the sugar and carb content are? Those look cool- just not sure if I can have them.

Putting them in a spoiler box so it doesn’t take up too much room:

Back of box pics

Cappuccino

Macchiato

Latte

2 Likes

Thanks! The sugar kills it for me, unfortunately :frowning:

ooh yum! I’m camping next weekend so I’ll have to try these out

I just accidentally let my French press sit for more like 12 mintues instead of 5. It was delicious! Hmmm… Tasted much more balanced to me. Not sure how to explain it. Richer. More complex.

2 Likes

This is why, like keyboards, I like coffee. Entirely preference on what you do or do not like compared to someone else.

5 Likes