Comprehensive list(s) of mechanical keyboards

Hey there,

Does anyone know of a database or list or anything that contains a comprehensive collection of popular mechanical keyboards in existence? No need for exact specs or details or anything, basically a brand + model list would be sufficient.

Thank you!

2 Likes

There is this: Category:List of all keyboards - Deskthority wiki
Although, I wouldn’t lable most of the keyboards listed there as “popular” per se.

2 Likes

I humbly submit this for your review. It just makes things a bit easier.

2 Likes

This is neat. Is there a scraper behind it or does it need people to submit updates?

1 Like

Thank you! Indeed, I scraped geekhack myself already. However, cleaning the data is a PITA to be honest. I was wondering if there’s a source that has already been cleaned, like the Deskthority wiki, but with more “niche” keyboards as well. E.g. deskthority doesn’t list RAMAs.

Maybe the VIA supported keyboards list will help: Supported Keyboards | VIA

2 Likes

Good idea, nice, thanks! That helps indeed, only need to clean the PCBs from it / pick the keyboards.

It autonomously scraps all posts within the last two calendar months.

1 Like

Here’s one more. QMK’s master keyboard list.

1 Like

Very nice, thank you!

1 Like

It seems we have had similar ideas. @mrus @ajoflo

No need for exact specs or details or anything, basically a brand + model list would be sufficient.

I recently did something similar to a brand list for keycaps.

2 Likes

Neat! More the merrier. I’ll test it out.

It was out of pure desperation that motivated me to take a swing at scrapping GH on my own. I really just wanted a way to browse GH by image and have the GB/IC’s on a single page with a responsive design.

I don’t run ads or track visits nor have any plans on doing so. I did post it on GH, but feel it didn’t get much traction. Oh well.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113898.0

1 Like

Yeah I pretty much built it for the same reasons. Originally I had included a website with the project back when I first made it that reminded me a lot of your site.

One of my earlier screenshots, I figured the first 4 photos must have something relevant to the content but I ended up scrapping that idea.

And something more recent

I didn’t go with the approach of selecting photos manually to be the main image because everyone likes different things. I figured I’d just give them the opportunity to see more if they wished and then go to the group buy / interest check after they found themselves interested in learning more.

I think the main issue with geekhack is that it requires the user to click on forum posts to see if they will like the group buy or not. So that is the main issue I tried to solve.

1 Like

I know this isn’t the exact answer but there’s a pretty solid list of keycaps at https://matrixzj.github.io . planning to maybe make one myself.

1 Like

I have also made this website some time ago that is a community maintained list of keyboards, it does include specs but you can skip that part if that’s not what you are after :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe I did something wrong, but I typed RAMA in the search field and no keyboards show up. Same for HHKB. It does however change the URL to ?q=HHKB.

Hmm you are right, it is usually more focused on custom keyboards as its collaborative nature works well for niche stuff.

List of pre-assembled keyboards: Mechanical Keyboards Database - custom keyboards photos

I should probably give it a go sometimes and add a bunch of more common boards, thanks for the feedback!

1 Like