Deskthority for Sale?!? Webwit Looking for a new owner

Long time keyboard enthusiast forum Deskthority is up for sale!

DT Post

What the end of an era huh? Through the last decade I’ve spent my fair share of time lurking on DT’s forums and I’m sure A LOT of us have spent many hours looking through the DT wiki and cross-referencing information. I wish the DT denizens all the best in this transition.

What are your thoughts on the sale of Deskthority?

6 Likes

As long as they keep the wiki well maintained, I don’t have strong feelings one way or another. Never really was on the forums that much.

1 Like

As long as the new owner takes good care of DT in the same way it has been cared for in the last 10 years, I’ll be okay with it. The wiki is such a great resource too, and it would be a shame if all that work were to go to waste.

3 Likes

DT was the site where I built my first custom- had the plates cut for it and everything. Webwit is one of the constants there, so this really is the end of an era.

1 Like

so who’s buying?
I heard that matt3o is going inactive because of the new ownership/

I don’t think because of the new ownership, I think because he doesn’t know and hasn’t been contacted, though the owner said he’d keep him on. I’ve never heard of the new owner- he says that he’s just a new afficionado that saw it was for sale and wanted to preserve it as he’s a fan of open source.

Time will tell…

Well, that went well.

They had an AMA with the owner:

https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25948

Apparently he did buy it to turn a profit with SEO, etc… though no ill intent otherwise, it seems.

And just as with GH/KT, there are splinters showing up:

https://nexthority.net/

3 Likes

What is sad is that these communities were created by enthusiasts and remain alive thanks to the participation of a community disinterested by the mercantile aspect of Internet.

I hope that this will not be the fate that awaits KT, I hope that we will find an economic model that will avoid having to go under the control of one of these investment company.

6 Likes

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

The profit motive ruins everything.