Hi everyone, this morning I did some DIY force testing of various 65-70g springs in linear switches.
I posted a write-up on Reddit, but I know that this forum is a more “scientific” crowd, so I think you all might appreciate it more than the average Reddit user.
In lieu of copying the whole post here, I will link to the original thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/be9pvo/diy_spring_force_testing_for_truth_and_justice/
Unlike a compression spring testing rig, which can easily cost over $100, this kind of testing is accessible to nearly everyone. We all, I’m sure, have access to coins, and many of us probably have a postal or kitchen scale. Therefore I would hope that people take it upon themselves to test other springs, and share their findings with the community. As a community, we all benefit from this kind of work, as we replace hearsay with knowledge, and rumors with data.
If you do any testing on your own, please note that the angle of the board and keycap will affect the test results. Therefore it is best to use a flat (zero-angle) board and non-sculpted keycaps, like DSA, XDA, G20, and row 3 SA.