DIY spring testing results (x-post from Reddit)

Hi everyone, this morning I did some DIY force testing of various 65-70g springs in linear switches.

I posted a write-up on Reddit, but I know that this forum is a more “scientific” crowd, so I think you all might appreciate it more than the average Reddit user.

In lieu of copying the whole post here, I will link to the original thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/be9pvo/diy_spring_force_testing_for_truth_and_justice/

Unlike a compression spring testing rig, which can easily cost over $100, this kind of testing is accessible to nearly everyone. We all, I’m sure, have access to coins, and many of us probably have a postal or kitchen scale. Therefore I would hope that people take it upon themselves to test other springs, and share their findings with the community. As a community, we all benefit from this kind of work, as we replace hearsay with knowledge, and rumors with data.

If you do any testing on your own, please note that the angle of the board and keycap will affect the test results. Therefore it is best to use a flat (zero-angle) board and non-sculpted keycaps, like DSA, XDA, G20, and row 3 SA.

5 Likes

Interesting to see that inks are a tad light at around 68g, I really like those springs.

I’ve always thought creams feel lighter than inks despite being both rated at 70g bottom out, I wonder what a cream would measure as

Nice data, we’re always better off with Keyboard Science(!)™. Did you try sampling springs/switches across batches to know if there’s variation there (or will it be under the 2g variance you spoke of)?

Did you try sampling springs/switches across batches to know if there’s variation there (or will it be under the 2g variance you spoke of)?

For the most part I only have 1 “batch” of each. I have some Sprit v4.0 and v4.1, but not in the same weight. A comparison there would definitely be an interesting exercise.

Also note that the 2g variation is because of the fact that I didn’t use any coins lighter than 2g. So it’s not so much random noise as it is granularity of measurement.