Drop Acquired by Corsair

Source:

Honestly I don’t expect much to change immediately. Geekhack fortunately shouldn’t be faced with any changes. It’s interesting to see Corsair reach more out into the enthusiast space by acquiring Drop.

13 Likes

Fingers crossed this means Corsair learns more about the community, makes their stuff cooler in the process, and gives Drop a bigger budget for neat projects. :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

Wow, I didn’t see that coming. I hope they don’t end up nixing the non-keyboard stuff from Drop. From what I’ve seen it seems like Corsair has already been stepping up their keyboard game in recent years, I wonder if this will end up influencing their mainline boards as well.

1 Like

I’m pretty confident Drop will remain as is. I’m also fairly confident GeekHack should remain as is.

But then again… I remember dpreview.com being shut down by Amazon once they were acquired but were fortunately rescued by another company which is why they are still in the game.

5 Likes

I don’t see the audio portion of Drop surviving. All of the press releases have been carefully worded to talk about certain aspects of the business. And then go on to mention everything except audio as those aspects. Probably won’t happen tomorrow, but I’d expect an eventual announcement that Drop is exiting that business.

Long-term, I wonder Drop dot com itself will continue on, or be rolled into Corsair’s, with the name just becoming a brand stamped on products sold through various global retail channels. Right now, their Amazon presence is pretty meager, but it could become one of many new places to buy everything Drop (except audio), effectively replacing their website.

3 Likes

The audio portion is the one part I’m really worried about, but fortunately some of their best collabs with Sennheiser seem right up Corsair’s alley. The 37X/38X are some of the best “gaming headsets” on the market.

4 Likes

Just from casual browsing I couldn’t find any trace that Drop owned GeekHack; didn’t realize that until seeing this post. For GH users out there: were any “synergies” realized between Drop and GeekHack? Any differences pre/post acquisition?

4 Likes

Keebtalk was actually founded because Drop acquired geekhack. The owner of GH was originally going to sell the site to someone else but once the announcement was made Drop stepped in and offered more money.

As far as I can tell it genuinely was just something they did to preserve the community there. We were all nervous about it at the time but I don’t remember them actually changing much.

8 Likes

The only thing I can think of is more incidental and not anything consequential in terms of a relationship; GH’s head mod HoffmanMyster has an official role at Drop these days. As far as I can tell this hasn’t influenced either entity in regards to the other, but has been good for Drop and the community experience there.

4 Likes

Ye the first thing that came to mind was a hybrid lineup with Corsair’s gamer circuits that can do all qmk commands and together with Dorp’s own keycaps and a ctrl/alt/shift inspired cases in both alu and plastic that could outshine Keychron’s lineup with everything from a 4x12 Ortholinear to a 100%with macro rows like the K90/K95.

1 Like

This is an odd concern but I just hope this doesn’t mean keymapping and RGB control through iCue. I’ll admit though, at first pass I guess there is some overlap but it’ll be interesting to see what comes of this.

1 Like

Ha - I was about to post about this. And ManofInterests of all people breaks the news here - nice to see you around here dude, its been a while (or maybe I’m blind).

1 Like

Did not know that re: Keebtalk’s founding or Geekhack’s ownership. Seems like the audio portion could work well into repositioning the brand. But I’ll def keep an eye out for a fire sale on the 6xx too…

1 Like

I wonder if the consumer data that Drop’s acquired over the years is of any interest to Corsair? Obviously, Corsair has a much, much wider pool of customers, but I’d imagine being able to see how Drop was able to turn enthusiasts into frequent shoppers could be valuable to a larger company in this space. Cross-referencing customer email addresses from Drop purchases and GH accounts with the same emails for Corsair purchases could also help Corsair get a fuller picture of consumer interest and budgets.

Pure speculation of course. IMO, the most likely rationale is that Corsair wants to augment their “gamer” keyboard market with a “custom” keyboard brand.

1 Like

I’m a card carrying, “I miss Massdrop” member so take what I say with a grain of saltiness.

“Drop” is a long way away from what drew me there in the first place and this purchase will push it further out. I can’t help but think some MBA on Corsair’s team is going to want to realize net value from Drop by pushing their own products HEAVILY. After all, I doubt Corsair purchased Drop out of the kindness of their own hearts.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t fault Corsair for this and I kind of like their PC Power Supplies. So no ill intent is meant toward them. I just don’t see Drop’s “independence” being all that independent for too long.

7 Likes

Bad news. I think they are going to get rid of the audio sections and what would be the end of good deals on high-end cans.

1 Like

Hopefully they do a clear out liquidation sale if they are going to get rid of the audio section.

3 Likes