Easing Into Linears

They make it so easy! My imagination runs wild with all the possible color combos.

2 Likes

Buy transparent films for piece of mind.

3 Likes

or just throw all the colors in the same bag and just take what you get randomly :thinking:

3 Likes

Perfect for the NK65 Milkshake Edition!

2 Likes

or a handarboard

Wasn’t sure where else to mention this; just mounted some Gateron Yellows the other day having never used them before, and I really do like them. (Black housing version) For all the extra-nice linears I keep around, none sound or feel quite like these do. The mild, consistent texture in the travel pairs well with the same quality in the GMK plate mount stabs I’m using. With skating-smooth switches I was never happy with how those stabs felt because they stood-out, but this I like. It reminds me of a more mild version of the Cream’s texture.

For all the switches I’ve collected over the years, I think this might actually be my first set of linears in black nylon housings, and I do like how they absorb some of the higher-frequency vibrations compared to polycarb and such. The stabilized keys sound especially nice.

Anyway - I’ve been wondering what makes Gat yellows the budget kings, and now I know. (They also make for a great referential base-line for when folks I’m building for are deciding how much they want to spend on switches.)

7 Likes

I’ve been thinking about revisiting Gateron Yellow. I was too deep into tactiles to appreciate them first time around. Now that I’m deep into linears, I may give them another go. I’ve no idea where the first batch went. Likely butchered as parts for some frankenstein switch lurking in the dark.

6 Likes

Those are great switches when lubed (I own milky top ones).
Still has to try any JWK variant to compare but for me I can’t feel any scratchiness issue.

1 Like

I’ve had lubed Gat yellows and blacks in a few boards for a couple of years, and if I wasn’t chasing the diminishing returns dragon for linear switches, I could easily be satisfied in all aspects (but where is the fun in that).

3 Likes

Ye, Gateron Yellow will most likely be my next purchase, I’m curious about that spring everyone praises. :yum:

3 Likes

Or if you have linears around that you like but want a Gat Yellow feel, pick up the new 16mm “long” springs from TX and you’ll get a similar experience. I think the 62g ones would fit best, but you could go 65g as well.

3 Likes

Thx for the tip! :+1:
But I actually need that milky top and white bottom for some frankenswitches I’m planning to make.

1 Like

Yes I’ve had the same experience in regards to mx reds being subpar for typing. Well actually the silent reds. I have a board with mx silent reds for work and though they are very quiet, I find the actuation force way too low. It could be because I’m used to NK Blueberries in my home board but I have the same issue of barely resting my fingers and it will actuate. Maybe I just type like a caveman.

1 Like

Thic Thock DL series 62g gives a similar experience also, did used them on Gat Blacks with close results.

1 Like

Meh. I had better experience buying from SPRiT than Thic Thock which hasn’t shipped Marshmallow switches I ordered more than a year ago.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that …

1 Like

Just sharing. Mauves’ sound is not one of my favorites but, PCB-mounted, they sound a lot better. Loud like Cherry blacks but softer bottom-out sound.

I found my Gateron Yellow springs hiding among a batch of springs I removed from another keyboard. They stand out because they’re longer. Putting them into recently polished Cherry blacks for extra bounce.

1 Like

My experience with Gateron Yellow linears was only with stock, unlubed black housings.

I had them in hotswap along with Aliaz 70G, and they were surprisingly similar. I can’t remember offhand which felt heavier, but they definitely offered a similar experience.

I found that the Yellows were just a little heavier than I would like. They typed a little slower than I normally did, and were a little fatiguing long-term during gaming, although they offered a consistent and responsive keypress.

I found myself wishing for a “Gateron Clementine,” between a Red and Yellow in weight. Gateron Yellows are said to feel as if they are a 65G slow curve spring, so I was wanting a 62-63.5 “Gateron Yellow.”

Those Thic Thock DL springs, if they resemble Gateron Yellow in shape, could be interesting for tactiles. Maybe that’s why they’re in the new RARA switches [RARA V2 and Shogoki]. Gat. Yellow is said to enhance tactile bumps. So you could get something like a lighter [63.5] Gat Yellow spring in RARA V2. Could be interesting.

Ultimately, I found stock Yellows boring, and didn’t end up using them. This was before I started lubing switches. They make a lot more sense lubed, but I mainly wanted a spring weight in between Gateron Red and Yellow.

3 Likes

Yeah, they’re a little heavy for me too. So I ordered some lower weight 16mm springs from TX. 57g, 60g, and 62g to find out what my long spring weight is.

Gat. yellow springs are noticeably heavier at the top than regular springs, heavy enough to use 63.5g regular springs for weaker fingers. Keeping track of which key has what is going to be a source of headache but at least it feels more comfortable.

2 Likes