I like the scratchiness of NK Creams

I know the Creams are a bit of a polarizing switch. Overhyped, no doubt, but polarizing also. Most people acknowledge that they’re kind of scratchy, so I was nervous when buying them but I felt like I needed to own Creams at some point, so I went for it.

Ok I know I might sound crazy, but I think I like the scratchiness of stock creams. The two linear boards I have going right now are these creams and 62g Banana Splits (factory lubed). I feel like the scratchiness of the creams almost helps me type better because it gives it more of a tactility, whereas the smoothness of the splits makes it feel like I’m typing on nothing at all.

I am definitely going to lube these after a few months of break in, since the spring noise is kind of noticeable. But does anyone else actually find the scratch to be actually uniquely pleasant?

7 Likes

Maybe your brain is correlating the feel to sticking your hand into a bag of rice, except scaled down to your finger

PS: If y’all have never stuck your hand in a bag of rice before, it feels p good.

13 Likes

I would wager the 62g spring is what makes it feel like nothing, especially compared to the 70g spring of the cream. Swap in a heavier spring and use a light application of thick lube, and those Banana Splits will probably feel just right.

2 Likes

Ah yes, maybe it’s an Asian thing then! LOL

3 Likes

Yeah definitely the lightness is part of the factor, but I also have lubed and filmed gat black inks and gat yellows, and I still think the scratchiness makes it uniquely pleasant… maybe i’m the 1% that finds these nice to type on (or maybe because it’s a break from really smooth action that makes me like it).

2 Likes

Can confirm - used to be a rice cook at an Asian restaurant.

I can understand how some texture can be nice. Basic Kailh switches have that kind of feel as well, iirc.

5 Likes

Say it with me, “YOUR OPINION IS WRONG”

But in all seriousness, creams sound great but I’m too impatient to break them in so I currently have 20 super scratchy, obnoxious lubed creams.

3 Likes

Reminds me of Amélie, where the girl sticks her hands in the beans…

9 Likes

I think the difference is like that between matte and glossy surface finish. Many, like me, prefer matte. While I dislike scratchy Cream, I can’t rule out there is a level of scratchiness that feel pleasant. Switches I’m polishing atm, for example, feel decently smooth yet make hard to hear hissing noise that is somewhere between being irritating and ASMR-ish.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s all about consistency?..

2 Likes

^^^^^ This 100%, I can live with slightly scratchy switches if they are all consistent across a board. Take that consistency away though & I’d probably type on it once then sit it on my shelf for eternity! :rofl:

5 Likes

This 100%. This is one of the reasons I stopped lubing switches. At first, when they’re all fresh, it’s awesome to type on. When the lube wears off inconsistently across switches after a while, it starts to annoy me.

3 Likes

That’s actually a great point. I thought it was just me but I did notice my lubed gat inks getting a little less “pillowy” as time went by, guess I need to prepare for lube wearing off then.

1 Like

but that’s also why I like plates with switch top opening options. Just pop the top off an relube as needed. :slight_smile:

In fact, I just relubed a handful of creams on one of my boards today.

But I’d still be more than willing to pay a high premium for switch housings with a softer plastic that made the same sound as lubed switches. I guess they would wear out too fast? Is that the issue?

1 Like