Easing Into Linears

As a side note, Cream stems in Ink housings are amazing.

My advice is to get a hot-swap board and try them all combos in-use for awhile. Chances are each combo will feel pretty good for a few days then not so good. Finding a combo that feels good for longer that is rare.

1 Like

As a side note, Cream stems in Ink housings are amazing.

True. But I’m rather overly sensitive to change in key travel so the combo wasn’t for me.

Well it’s official guys I am 100% converted to lighter linears (50g to 65g). I finally got around to putting Alpacas in my e6.5 with a PC plate & the difference from Holy Pandas on a brass plate is night & day! It finally sold me on using linears as my prefered switch type. I can’t say exactly why, but I’m really not liking the feel of highly tactile switches anymore. I pulled out my Redscarf with Holy YOKs last night & just couldn’t get into my usual typing groove with it. Now I don’t plan on completely ditching tactiles as tactile ALPS are some of my favs still (much different feel from MX tactiles) & I still like the feel of mid tactility switches like V1 Zealios, tactile MODs, MX Clears, etc. So I don’t expect to be ditching MX tactiles altogether, but I don’t think I’ll be using any of the super high tactility ones anymore.

2 Likes

Learning to enjoy linears will hopefully give you an improved perspective on lubing tactiles as well! Once you know what kind of smoothness to aim for in linears, you can apply that to tactiles and start to improve your tactile switches as well :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That is a really good point! I’ve always been happy with my lube jobs, but I do tend to be more meticulous when lubing my linears. So I can definitely see it transferring over to future tactiles I’ll lube. Been kicking around the ideal of an ergo clear build soon, so I’ll let you know how the lubing goes when I get to it bud! :+1:

3 Likes

I don’t know how you do it. I recently build some 62g linears and I’m regretting it. I mistype every other word.

3 Likes

Honestly I used to be the same way. My typing has improved a good bit since I’ve been in the hobby so I guess that plays into it some, but more than just being more accurate nowadays I actually appreciate the feel of linears now. Never really did before, but I’ve also started to be a much lighter typer since I’ve been in the hobby. The combo of being a more accurate & lighter typist than I was before would be the best reasons I can come up with up for my preference switch.

3 Likes

It probably has to do with the fact that I am continually cycling through different switches.

1 Like

I did a lot of cycling through different switches for a while, almost all of them tactile, after like two years i finally decided to try some retooled blacks since they were new and hype and stuff and they were so good I haven’t looked back, I pretty much just use tealios for everything now. Going back to typing on tactile switches after typing on some butter linears just feels like banging your fingers and I find it be very fatiguing and uncomfortable. I’m in the process of converting 5 or so boards from various tactile switches to linears.

I think after some time it’s a place that a lot of people arrive at.

4 Likes

Been kicking around the ideal of ergo clear build soon, so I’ll let you know how the lubing goes when i get to it bud!

I’ll be really interested to hear how that goes.

I have two sets of Ergo Clears right now. One is a 63.5 gr. paintbrush-lubed Progressive Spirit build, the other is a 60 G [actuation] 1UpKeyboards build with 3204.

The 63.5 Progressive is the very ideal of “soft” Ergo Clears. It’s about as heavy as MX Browns, slightly more tactile. Fairly heavily-lubed, so it isn’t max tactile, it’s a very ‘relaxed’ switch, and not even as poppy as MX Browns.

They would be ideal for someone suffering from wrist pain, or unable to type on higher weights. But they are a bit too weak for me. I can feel slight hesitation on the upstroke.

The 60 G [actuation] Ergo Clears with springs from 1UpKeyboards are much more poppy. They actuate at MX Black weight, I think, which is similar to what used to be called “Panda Clears.” I can type very fast and efficiently with them, but the high actuation weight is distracting.

I have a whole full-size Leopold made up with the 60 G Panda Clears, and the sound is amazing. Very deep for a Cherry switch. Stabilizers are lubed almost perfectly. But I find myself not using the board, because it is relatively fatiguing.

So now I have to go back to square one, thinking of the ideal weight. I think it’s going to be 65 gr springs, which should be poppier than the 63.5 but less supercharged than the 60 G actuation springs.

1 Like

What weights do you like? I like tealios but I made the mistake of using the same spring weight as I do for tactile and clicky (62g) I just bottom out every time :confounded:

1 Like

I usually use the stock 67g, although I’ve been really enjoying the 63.5g turquoise tealios recently.

1 Like

Until recently, I was using mostly linear switches (tealios, creams). I have recently switch to entirely tactiles (T1, zealios). Do you perhaps bottom out when you type?

The reason why I asked the question is because I rarely bottom out my keys when I type. It eventually sort of became muscle memory not to bottom out the keys because using non-silent switches and bottoming out used to make my finger tips sore after a full day of coding. That being said, linears did not provide enough feedback on when the keys were actuated other than spring force, so I ended up switching to large round tactiles and I ended up giving away my linears.

1 Like

Sounds like you need topre with BKE domes :blush:

I have 3 topre boards but I don’t use them because I prefer ortholinear boards over staggered.

If Realforce ever makes a split ortho board then that’s my true endgame board. But I’m ok with not bottoming out my keys ( I don’t even think about it anymore), the side affect that is that not bottoming out makes the board sound better since it’s only one clack instead of 2.

1 Like

I do, but not harshly. I will say though, I probably don’t type as much as a lot of people, I’m an electrical engineer, so while I do spend a lot of my day in front of my computer and even write some code sometimes, it’s not all typing, a writer or programmer probably types a lot more than me.

I’m sure writers type a lot but, as a software engineer, I don’t type much. Most of the time is spent researching or thinking. And when I do have to type, it’s usually series of stop and go at well under 60 wpm.

I do enjoy bottoming out with linears. Harshness can be mitigated by reducing force needed to press (lower spring-weight).

I finally found an Acrylic case combination I can enjoy:

1. Acrylic Tofu 60% with tire balancing weights.
  2. NovelKeys Creams
  3. POM plate
  4. CRP PBT keyset

I’m amazed I have not tried this combo before but it sound very thocky yet bottom out is not as harsh as aluminum case.

5 Likes

How you compare turquoise tealios to tealios v2?

After I read this post on reddit it seems tealios v2 are better in every aspect: