Easing Into Linears

I had MX reds for a long long while, and they were nice for games, but I hated typing on them. You could seriously think about pressing one of those caps down and it would automatically do it for you. I found myself misinputting very, very often and I recently made the switch to Kailh Box Blacks because I knew I wanted heavier linears. Could not be happier. They took a week or two of adjustment, but I’m definitely sticking to heavy linears (though lighter tactiles are still my go-to for long paper/essay typing!)

2 Likes

Same here. Had some Cherry MX Red - because they should be great for gaming. Too light for my taste - got some Gateron Black now. Next on the list is Gateron Brown, just to try the tactile switches.

2 Likes

Just as an experiment I put Gateron Yellow stems into a Polar Trash Panda and created a very nice linear switch (I dub it the Polar Linjar or Trash Linjar because it looks similar).

They feel and sound like a lot like vintage blacks, but look a whole lot prettier. Gateron stem is smoother than the Trash Panda stem. It is longer as well, but not enough to bottom out loudly like Holy Pandas.

My main complaint with regular Linjars is that even after lubing they can still ping (I haven’t tried every lubing technique on them this might be easily fixable with the correct method). The Polar Linjars do not ping like regular Linjars.

Given that Trash Pandas are still pretty expensive I wouldn’t recommend going out of your way to build these unless you love the aesthetics and want the slightly deeper sound of vintage blacks compared to the higher pitched sound of Tealios, regular Linjars, etc.

2 Likes

Honestly if I ever spend the time to build a linear board I will definitely be using Gat. Inks. I have tried all 4 variations and the normal Inks are just so smooth and satisfying. Although the Purple Pandas I got in for my Wife’s keyboard have got me leaning back into tactiles again.

4 Likes

Been using linears exclusively.
Tried all kinds of tactile and clicky switches, but that’s just not my cup of tea (besides loud goodness of IBM F and M and Alps).
Relly loving NK Creams and Nolives lubed with 205g0, but currently using Gateron Yellows lubed with 3402.
Waiting for some lighter springs tho…

1 Like

yeeesss big creams fan here aswell. i did put some gateron yellow springs in these bad bois and they’re just heavenly to type on (:

Waiting for some 55Cn springs to try them, as I prefer lighter switches

1 Like

Linear samples arrived today. What I tested (for each, there were 3 more next to them):

Tealios (stock)              Panda stem (103) in BSUN (103)
  Black Ink (stock)           Kailh Pro Burgundy stem (stock) in BSUN (103)
    NovelKeys Cream (stock)

I’m happy to confirm that, for me, Kailh Pro Burgundy stem in BSUN housing felt and sounded the best. Even without Halo stem’s heaven-sent bump, similar solid bottom out sound and feel was delightful to type on. My thanks to @Walkerstop whom I think first discovered that Kailh Pro Burgundy stem sounds very similar to Halo stem.

Tealios, Black Ink, and Cream were very good, noticeably better bottom out feel and sound than, say, Gateron Yellow or Panda stem in BSUN. But they weren’t as good as the Kailh Pro Burgundy stem in BSUN housing.

FYI, BSUN housing is very similar to Panda housing except it has clear top and less stiff contact leaf. I think Panda housing may feel better but I am using BSUN to make the best linear hybrid switch for myself because I had lots of them around.

UPDATE: NovelKeys Cream sound and feel is distinctly more clacky than Tealios and Blank Ink. It seems to closest to my Burgundy hybrid but had a layer of icky feel that I didn’t like which may go away with lubing.

3 Likes

For me smoothness/feel is more important than sound, but I understand your position. Tealios and Inks are the smoothest stock for sure, but with a little break in and 205g0 lubing, the Creams really shine – smoothness and sound.

1 Like

I also made a switch using zilent v1 housings, gat clear stems, and 68g catweewee springs, lubed with 205g0. I’m not sure if the leaf is all that different from a linear one, but overall it’s a super smooth and satisfying typing experience. They are destined for my Xeno if it ever arrives.

2 Likes

Went ahead and built a board with the hybrid.

2 Likes

Just to test, I built another board with all four types of switches, each in a row.

• Number row: NovelKeys Cream unlubed.
  • QWERTY row: Tealios lubed with 3204.
  • Home row: my Kailh Pro Burgundy stem+BSUN housing+Gateron Yellow spring hybrid. Only the stem lubed with 3204.
  • Bottom row: Gateron Black Ink lubed with 3204.

When I asked my wife to find the row of switches she liked the most, she chose the Home row. :slight_smile:

1 Like

After a day of using my Linear All-Star Board, I can now see why Tealios and Black Inks are popular. While not as thocky as Cream or my hybrid and rather subdued, they are pleasing to type on and make very pleasant solid bottom-out sound. Subdued part is a minus for me but either switches could be a favorite for gamers or office settings.

Some, highly subjective, findings:

1. Black Inks does not sound better than Tealios. In fact, I prefer the sound of Tealios. Tealios also feels slightly more solid than Inks although the later looks more well-built.
  2. Lubed Tealios felt smoother than lubed Black Inks, not by a large margin but still noticeable.
  3. Cream lubed with 3204 made it noticeably better and stayed better.
  4. Difference between Cream and the subdued pair can best be described as Wild. It sounds more aggressive and thicker than the two.
  5. My hybrid feels and sounds like thinner but clearer version of Cream. Clarity is one of my favorite switch attributes that, so far, I found only in BSUN and Panda housings made by the same manufacturers.
  6. This board with 4 types of switches and spring weights is fun to type on. In hindsight, I don’t see any reason why spring weights should be the same for all rows. I’m going to tinker a bit to find the best weight for each row.
1 Like

I really appreciate your detailed findings. It helps me to understand where you’re coming from on switch preference.

I have (so far) a preference for Black Inks over Tealios, both for sound and feel, but sufficiently limited experience with both to say much more. Also, FWIW, my Black Ink experience was with 205g0 - I wonder if I’d feel the same way with 3204.

1 Like

I went with 3204 for this batch because my experience from lubing Zeal’s tactiles w/205g0 wasn’t that great. Maybe the new plastic mix Black Inks uses responds better to 205g0. I’m going to get another set of samples to test how they feel and sound differently using 205g0.

2 Likes

My All-Star Linear board is now part of daily used troupe of keyboards. Linears are really growing on me. I did move Tealios, Black Inks, and Cream switches to the number row so alpha keys have consistent feel. This switch layout allows me to enjoy the feel of three top linear switches as well as my own hybrid.

1 Like

Tealios V2 spring is really starting to grow on me. Anyone know which if any third-party springs are closest to it? I have Gateron Yellow springs which are just a touch heavier near the bottom than Tealios V2 springs so I’ve ordered some Catweewee 55g springs to see if they’re similar.

After a full day of using linear switches, the feel of Tealios V2 is also growing on me. IOW, I get it now.

Both Tealios and Ink, both with transparent housing made out of unknown plastic mix, share what I can best describe as pleasant cloudy sensation that mid part of Topre also has. It’s distinct from buttery sensation from Krytox grease but the difference is harder to discern with heavier grease, like 205g0. OTOH, my hybrid with clear top and opaque bottom has a clean feel that can be felt even with 205g0. Cream is between the two, a compromise.

So, it looks like I’ll have at least two linear boards: one with my hybrid and the other with either Tealios or Ink. ATM, I prefer the Tealios’ spring weight and extra smoothness. Fact that some Inks have loose leaf issue also makes me lean toward Tealios. Only problem is that there seems to be a shortage of sort although vendors being out of stock at the same time may actually be good news if V3 is coming.

1 Like

My current opinion on three top linear switches:

• Smoothness: Tealios > Gateron Ink > Cream
  • Thockyness: Cream > Gaterno Ink > Tealios

Tealios is what I like because I like it’s stock spring weight and smoothness. It sounded OK on the QWERTY row initially but, while in constant use, sound seems to vary between that of HHKB and flapping wet diaper but I’ve learn to ignore it. shrug

I think Gateron Ink is a nice compromise for folks looking reasonably smooth yet thocky linear switch. I’m not that drawn to it because I get daily overdose of thockyness from Holy Panda.

My main problem at this point is that using linear switch on daily basis is dulling the pleasure from using uber-tactile Holy Panda. Maybe I eased in a bit too hard…

2 Likes

I thought I knew what I was gonna put into my HHKB Tofu.

I am even more confused.

2 Likes