Easing Into Linears

Opinions matter less than wants so I think our real choices are whether to get them:

• one at a time
  • all at once
1 Like

Strangely, I type fastest on “high profile” key caps like SA and even Topre’s high profile, even though cherry is more comfortable.

1 Like

A really good lubing combination I’ve found for Tealios (and most linear switches without milky housing) is to use 205 (just a dab) on both ends of the spring, and then 105 on the slider. This preserves the snappy sound and action of an unlubed linear while reducing all spring noise and significantly reducing friction.

Using 205 on the slider (from my experience) can cause the slider to feel over-lubed or sluggish, even if its a tiny amount.

2 Likes

I agree. Thanks for the tip. I’m planning to use a very thin coat of 3204 on my Tealios when they arrive. Springs will be bag lubed in 104.

From what I remember, the Tealios spring was tested to be a 5-7g lighter bottom out weight than listed so a 60-62g replacement spring would be similar.

Also, was all your testing of the Creams unlubed (in the board) vs the others lubed? If so, try a thin 205g0 application and reevaluate – they are way smoother, deeper in sound, and don’t have that grabbing feel. I like all the switches you tested and creams aren’t my top favorite liner either, but they deserve a fair shake.

1 Like

I highly recommend socketing the PCB if youre comfortable with it. It honestly saves you the trouble of ever having to decide on one particular switch.

2 Likes

Initially lubed but later lubed. I tried both 3204 and 205g0. Never got the grabbing nor leathery feel but something else was there that’s difficult to describe. I agree it’s decently smooth and makes deep satisfying sound. It could easily be the favorite linear switch for folks who enjoy the sound more than feel. I also found that its stem felt really good in a distinct way in other switches.

For those interested in trying the hybrid linear switch: go with steel plate if you don’t mind the loudness.

Plates I tried with the hybrid:

• POM - clear sound and slightly softened bottom out.
  • Brass - higher pitched sound and slightly softened bottom out
  • Steel - loud and clear (still enjoying this one).

For those with NK creams, how do they compare to Kailh Box Blacks? I’ve been thinking about picking some up. Has anyone tested them springswapped with a lighter spring (ie 45g?)

Swapped springs on my Gateron Yellows (lubed with 3402) with 55g Spirits (also lubed).
Loving them.
Will try the same springs in Creams as well soon.
Nor sure where I can buy 45g springs (possibly in EU)?

My next switches will probably be Gateron Black Inks (but will also swap springs with lighter ones).

Oh my. Rapidly moving deeper into linear territory. Yesterday, I had only one linear board. Today, I got two.

Clacky Hacker board - features a hybrid switch made out of Kailh Pro Burgundy stem, BSUN housing, Catweewee 55g bottom-out spring, and lubed with 3204. This is a caseless board with just steel plate, GH60 PCB with BSUN hot-swap sockets, and adhesive foam-backing stacked to form 6-degree incline. Steel plate and Kailh Pro Burgundy stem with extra long tip makes extra loud clacking sound that should help tactile-lovers ease into linear-side of the hobby.

Cloudwalker board - features Tealios V2 switches filmed and lubed with 3204 (104 on springs) in a hot-swappable PCB, custom POM plate, Tofu 60%. Feels like walking on cloud.

I have been experimenting with some linears too while deciding
what to put in my lubrigante. and while tribosys 3204 on creams won because of the clacky deep sound.
i alread plan on using gateron inks with 67g catweewee springs lubed with krytox 106 in a board soon because the felt even better but didn’t fit what i want in the lubrigante.

I have some gateron red inks and dislike those, too light of a spring just feels cheap to me.

1 Like

That’s good to know. I was thinking about trying some to save myself the trouble of spring swap.

I 've disliked any kind of red switches i’ve tryed yet.
But stranglely i found lubed cherry blacks with 55g springs were pretty fine.

Which sounds irrational to me, so your millage will vary.
i will use those switches with 67g springs and krytox 106 in my next build with a poly carb plate.

1 Like

Film effect on the top three linear switches:

• Tealios V2 - didn’t make much difference to sound nor feel.
  • Gateron Inks - improved sound and feel noticeably.
  • NovelKeys Cream - pure magic. sound and feel improved significantly, reducing hollowness in both as well as reducing wobble. I also replaced stock spring with 55g Catweewee that made it feel nicer.

I really liked the filmed Cream switch out of the three I tested, enough to try a full board next when NovelKeys restocks. If full board feels as good as I now expect, I’ll likely sell the Tealios. As to why, it’s walking on cloud feel in use over time felt stressful for reasons I don’t quite understand.

1 Like

What films did you use? I heard some people give reports that Creams didn’t take to filming well, and would bend the tops too much. I’m still deciding what linear I want for my Tofu when that finally comes back from MKUltra, and being able to use TX springs and films on the Creams will be quite a joy.

1 Like

I used ‘polycarb films by Kin’ from TX. It’s true Creams don’t take to filming well but they’re not as bad as Pandas so, with practice, I managed to film 9 sample switches within a few minutes.

You just need the film positioned right and make sure all four housing legs are fastened. How fast and strongly you move the top housing down also seems to matter. If it’s done too slowly or weakly, the film moves. And you need to hold the bottom housing right so your fingers don’t get prickled.

UPDATE: More on filmed Inks. Filmed, they sound and feel more solid than filmed Tealios V2 but not as satisfying as filmed Cream. Filmed Inks sound deeper than even Cream but the hollowness in Cream sound others also noticed turns into a delightful drum-like sound when filmed. Ultimately, it’s a matter of preference.

• If smoothness is more important than solid sound and feel, go with Tealios.
  • If deep wood sound is more important than go with filmed Inks.
  • If drum-like bamboo sound delights you, go with filmed Cream.
3 Likes

Whole-heartedly agree with these 3 points

1 Like

What’s everyone doing to lube Creams these days? I’ve tried a few different options but nothing seems to make a huge difference so on my upcoming Sirius build I’m thinking I’ll just lube the springs with 205 and leave the sliders unlubed.