Ergo Clear mod: Which lube for springs?

What kind of lube is best for applying to springs when making Ergo Clears?

I have already sourced some Tribosys 3203, which I think is going to work great for the switches’ bottom housings and stems, but I am still doubtful about the springs. Any recommendation?

I’ve seen Victorinox Oil and Dupont Teflon Silicone Lubricant being recommended in old posts from Geekhack and r/mk, but I wonder if they remain the best options in 2019.

Thanks!

1 Like

Oil like Krytox VPF 1514 is the absolute best, but I’ve had good luck with just adding a little tribosys to the ends of my springs.

2 Likes

You can get away without lubing springs if you lube the bottom part of the housing where the spring goes. As the spring compresses, it will get lubed up. I do that with 3204 sometimes. You just gotta lube around where the post goes in the thing and where the spring rests. I don’t know what to call that part…

2 Likes

Both @Lesbian & @Manofinterests methods will work great for killing spring noise. Personally I end up doing kinda a combo of the two. I bag lube my springs with Krytox VPF1514 then also lube the bottom part of the housing & bottom part of the stem where the spring contacts them with whatever lube I’m using for the housing & stems (usually Tribosys3204 or 3203). That has always produced great results for me, but if you don’t have any VPF1514 on hand I’d say try @Manofinterests’ method to see if it works well enough for you before ordering any VPF1514.

3 Likes