Feel free to discuss the project here and post any questions or comments!
Orders are now being accepted at ModelFKeyboards dot com
Feel free to look through the Deskthority and Geekhack project threads (and the project updates blog on the above web site) for the long history of the project, including the long factory production delays that have since all been resolved. We are now in the assembly phase with shipping expected to start around mid-year.
Unprinted key sets from the brand new one-piece molds began shipping out this month. Last year the inner foam began shipping out (inner foam is available for all the original Model F Keyboards as well, except the XT style ones).
You can stock up on repair parts for your original IBM / Unicomp keyboards too: Key sets, barrels, precision cut inner foam, flippers/springs are all compatible with the original IBM Model F keyboards and the key sets are also compatible with the IBM Model M keyboards in addition to IBM Model F Keyboards.
The project’s goal is to reproduce the extremely hard to find 60% and 75% style Model F keyboards. All of the keys of the large Model F keyboards are available through function layers that are fully customizable with the open source GUI software. It took me a little time to get used to the more efficient layout but being able to own a Brand New Model F keyboard makes it well worth the effort!
I have gotten a few requests for making molds for larger keyboards but adding extra keys would make the keyboard similar to the Model M’s on eBay that sell for well below what new production keyboards can possibly sell for.
The brand new Model F keyboards are native USB with NKRO and are fully customizable with function layers, macros, and the option to customize each key and layout.
I do hope everyone considers ordering a Brand New Model F Keyboard before the limited production run ends!
SUMMARY OF EVERYTHING THIS BUY INCLUDES
- Basic keyboard models: F62, F77, Ultra Compact F62, Ultra Compact F77
- One-piece XT-style keycaps made from new molds, including Industrial SSK style blue keys - extra sets are also available separately
- Extra parts also available separately including Model F (AT) compatible barrels, flippers, cases, PCBs, inner foam, and inner assemblies
- Available layouts: ANSI: US and HHKB style with split backspace and regular non-split backspace. ISO: Vertical enter with a variety of international layout variants: Spanish, German, Nordic, French, UK, etc.
- More specifics at ModelFKeyboards dot com