Finally tried a jailhouse mod

The ones in Cherry housings (Gateron stem, Cherry housing, TX spring) feel most similar. I’d say that the TX springs especially make them feel slightly more tactile than clears and really reduce the amount of force you need to apply after the bump before you bottom out. Aside from that I think pixelpusher really nailed the comparison.

Not really sure what you mean by roundness of the sound. I’ve been using them in a Catch22 (my only hotswap board) so I am using a plate but it’s the same material as a PCB. So not really a good measure of how they’ll sound in a board, but it’s a decent test for my purposes since my main concern is how loud these will be in an open office (ugh).

If you meant the roundness of the bump, it’s really not round at all with the TX springs. Compared to e.g. Zilent v2s, there’s no pre-travel and as soon as you’re past the bump there’s very little resistance until you get to the bottom, where it starts to push back a bit.

Also, since I posted that I’ve started to use some of the trash panda housings to make holy trash pandas… And they feel very similar to the jailhouses in panda housings. I haven’t tried putting them in the switch tester to get a better 1:1 comparison yet, but in the hand the main difference I can tell is that the jailhouse switches only make noise on the upstroke but the HPs make noise on both the upstroke and bottom out.

Where did you buy the j spacers

Bought them from thevankeyboards back in the day. Not sure where you would pick these up now.

They are actually easy to get, just message u/evangs on reddit. i bought some from him not too long ago (probably like 2 months ago) and it was really nice, cheap, and it came in fast